Lathkill Head - way on from Lathkiller Hall?

JB

Wonder if the combined knowledge can shed light on this for me. Went in the top entrance of Lathkill Head last week and landed in the big chamber (Waiting Room). Climbed down through a boulder choke and through a short flat out section to arrive in another big chamber (which I think is Lathkiller Hall). From here the way on is through the Lathkiller choke. However, couldn't find anything that looked big enough to get through. As we crawled out of the flat out section we had the stream on our right and it was running towards us and disappearing down into a sump.

Does anyone know where the Lathkiller choke is in relation to the stream and the exit from the flat out section?

In fact, just had a look at the guidebook and it looks like there's another way out of Lathkiller Hall (Tiger 4) which leads to the current end of the cave. So whilst you're at it perhaps you could give us a clue whereabouts that is. That's two exits that I failed to find.

Thanks alot,
JB

SamT

I've not been in Lathkill yet myself - but quite a few lads from the Eldon have - I'll try to get a description when I see them tonight.

From your description I suspect one of the ways is through the sump which probably dries up in drought conditions.

JB

ta for that Sam. I suspect you're right about the way on being through one of the sumps.

SamT

Yes - thinking about it - Im sure that tiger1 2 3 4 etc are the sumps/ducks that are passed so it would make sense that tiger 4 is the sump. As for lathkiller - I'll ask the lads tonight.

paul

Had a trip down there late last year and we couldn't get beyond Lathkiller Hall as all routes onwards seemed to be sumped. A friend had been a on a trip there too a little while before and was surpised at how much silt and gravel had moved around since his previous trip.

To add insult to injury, when I got back to our Club hut, I found my spanner had fallen out through a hole in the of the tackle bag at the foot of the pitch into the Waiting Room! :(

Rob

Paul, hehe, this is quite a funny one!

I went into the waiting room the end of last year. And guess what, i found a lovely shiny adjustable spanner on the floor looking lonely. Quite a big one and all.

Cheers very much!

paul

At least it didn't rust away!

Hope you give it a good home and take it caving regularly where it's needed to open gates, shaft lids, etc.

Katie

Paul,
thought you would like to know that your spanner was back at Lathkill this evening making itself useful at the entrance and getting me out of my harness!
And although we were tempted we did not leave it in the waiting room for the next person! hehe :wink:

paul

Bat girl said:
Paul,
thought you would like to know that your spanner was back at Lathkill this evening making itself useful at the entrance and getting me out of my harness!
And although we were tempted we did not leave it in the waiting room for the next person! hehe :wink:

I'm glad that Spanner is still getting underground!