Where to set up base camp in Vercors

Roperat

Hi all,

More questions from me!

Doing 8 days (roughly) in Vercors in July. Where do you recommend to be based at for the duration. Have a car, and haven't made a solid plan for where to cave as of yet (waiting for my guide book to arrive!)

Is wild camping easy/acceptable in Vercors? Or anyone recommend any caving friendly places to stay that, being on a budget, wont blow the budget in accom costs? I know it's unfortunately busy season.

The internet (google) doesn't offer up much info outside of where to pay extortionate prices to stay at luxury accommodation, so info from like minded people is my next option!

Thanks team!

robjones

Being a limestone plateau there is a dearth of surface water in summer so wild camping may be awkward water-wise.

The two occasions I spent a week there we camped at La Chapelle. It's not terribly well placed for caves however but it does have some decent food shops and some bars. Some of the popular caves are well spread-out, so it is difficult to identify an optimum location - with us, access to food shops was the deciding factor.

Have fun!

dare

My caving party has twice set up camp in Camping les Eymes, Meaudre

http://www.camping-les-eymes.com/

which still seems to have room for tents, although the cottages are fully booked for July.

It's not ultra cheap, but not horribly expensive either, the place is caver friendly, and there are entrances to Trou qui souffle system within walking distance. Practically everything we were interested in (Gournier, Fumant, Berger...) could be reached in reasonable time by car.

ZombieCake

Choranche / Pont en Royans used to be good, more or less next door to Gournier & Bournillon to boot.