Where should we be digging?

M

mudman

Okay, a proper Welsh thread.....

Where in Wales do people think the next major breakthrough will occur?
Are there any big undiscovered systems left in Wales?

M

mudman

You may have a point there.
What I meant was, what area will give the next big breakthrough? Llangattock? Central Northern Outcrop? Mellte valley? Pant Mawr? Swansea valley? West Wales? etc.

H

Huw Groucutt

there is still plenty of potential... heres what i think:

Llangatwg is getting a bit full now, i've heard rumours that certain people think there is another major trunk passage, the continuation of Busmans holiday, running down the east of Craig A Ffynnon, and not connecting to it as previously assumed. There is still a big blank area between Darren Cilau and Eglwys Faen...Martyn Farr et al are digging at the end of main passage in Aggy trying to get to this, and me and others have dug the Source of Time in Darren heading for the same area, indeed possibly different ends of the same thing. I don't think it will be too long until Darren is linked to aggy, my guess is at Against All Odds Chamber.

I think central northern outcrop is only going to slowly reveal its secrets, not quite sure why though.

I think the Pant Mawr area is possibly the most interesting area at the moment. As featured in this months descent, Roy Morgan etc have dye traced the lost valley sink to the Nedd Fechan risings....5 km away and 240 metres lower. When that system is cracked open its going to be a biggy....iits just a matter of finding the right entrance...possibly Ogof Cregan. From that dye trace it raises the possibility, in my mind atleast, of a connection to Ogof Ffynnon Ddu. To the east of the Nedd Fechan area there is a theoretical connection to the next vallley (e.g. Hole in the wall dye traced to Porth yr Ogof and to the Nedd Fechan resurgences). Porth yr Ogof also has the potential to go off to the east, possibly connecting to stuff like Pwll Derw. Maybe wishful thinking but if someone could crack the Pant Mawr mastersystem then there could be a cave running from Ffynnon Ddu to beyond Porth yr Ogof, well over 100km long.....right, snap back to reality.

Dan Yr Ogof has the potential as ever. Trouble seems to be two fold...the end can only be reached by passing sumps, and the sinks on the mountain are very shattered, and often fail to penetrate the seemingly vital honeycombed sandstone, all it takes is somehwere like Carreg Lem to hit a fault down through the honeycomb and produce a major extension.

Llygad Llwchwr is obviously part of a much larger system, heading back to and inclucing Ogof Pasg - Ogof Foel Fawr etc.

Work in Draenen seems to have stagnated. If the Llangatwg system does continue under the Clydach to Pontnewynydd, then surely there will be fossil passages which do so. Such caves would head into several kilometres of blank mountain and connect with the continuation of Draenen...wow!

Of course this may all be be bollocks but there is clearly a lot of cave left to be found.

M

mudman

Well, a pretty comprehensive answer there. Not sure if I can follow that.

bubba

Administrator
Wow! Sounds like lots of major stuff still to be done in Wales.

Hmmmm....time to pack the digging gear and head south :wink:

H

Huw Groucutt

and of course there is the 5th choke in Aggy, which should either lead to a major extension, or show that someone seriously cocked up their water measurements....going to be having a poke at it this weekend actually.

H

Huw Groucutt

Actually don't think the major inlet actually exists after the 5th choke, just can't see where the water would come from, maybe a small inlet is there but not the size some people think.

PMN1

mudman said:
Okay, a proper Welsh thread.....

Where in Wales do people think the next major breakthrough will occur?
Are there any big undiscovered systems left in Wales?

There there was that passage under Dave's shed, lots of water coming out of it at one time.

PMN1

Huw Groucutt said:
there is still plenty of potential... heres what i think:

Llangatwg is getting a bit full now, i've heard rumours that certain people think there is another major trunk passage, the continuation of Busmans holiday, running down the east of Craig A Ffynnon, and not connecting to it as previously assumed. There is still a big blank area between Darren Cilau and Eglwys Faen...Martyn Farr et al are digging at the end of main passage in Aggy trying to get to this, and me and others have dug the Source of Time in Darren heading for the same area, indeed possibly different ends of the same thing. I don't think it will be too long until Darren is linked to aggy, my guess is at Against All Odds Chamber.

I think central northern outcrop is only going to slowly reveal its secrets, not quite sure why though.

I think the Pant Mawr area is possibly the most interesting area at the moment. As featured in this months descent, Roy Morgan etc have dye traced the lost valley sink to the Nedd Fechan risings....5 km away and 240 metres lower. When that system is cracked open its going to be a biggy....iits just a matter of finding the right entrance...possibly Ogof Cregan. From that dye trace it raises the possibility, in my mind atleast, of a connection to Ogof Ffynnon Ddu. To the east of the Nedd Fechan area there is a theoretical connection to the next vallley (e.g. Hole in the wall dye traced to Porth yr Ogof and to the Nedd Fechan resurgences). Porth yr Ogof also has the potential to go off to the east, possibly connecting to stuff like Pwll Derw. Maybe wishful thinking but if someone could crack the Pant Mawr mastersystem then there could be a cave running from Ffynnon Ddu to beyond Porth yr Ogof, well over 100km long.....right, snap back to reality.

Dan Yr Ogof has the potential as ever. Trouble seems to be two fold...the end can only be reached by passing sumps, and the sinks on the mountain are very shattered, and often fail to penetrate the seemingly vital honeycombed sandstone, all it takes is somehwere like Carreg Lem to hit a fault down through the honeycomb and produce a major extension.

Llygad Llwchwr is obviously part of a much larger system, heading back to and inclucing Ogof Pasg - Ogof Foel Fawr etc.

Work in Draenen seems to have stagnated. If the Llangatwg system does continue under the Clydach to Pontnewynydd, then surely there will be fossil passages which do so. Such caves would head into several kilometres of blank mountain and connect with the continuation of Draenen...wow!

Of course this may all be be bollocks but there is clearly a lot of cave left to be found.

Dont suppose you've had any vissions of lottery numbers have you?