Show unread posts not working

Bottlebank

Not sure if this is just me, but over the last few days I have noticed this doesn't seem to work for many posts and new topics, although it does work occasionally.

Is it happening to anyone else?

Roger W

It seems to be working for me - unless there are stacks of unread posts I'm not aware of...

..A few minutes later...  I've just looked through the forum from the ukCaving.com level - as distinct from relying on the "Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show all unread posts" buttons - and can't find anything I 'd missed.  So it seems to be working OK for me.

shotlighter

Bottlebank said:
Not sure if this is just me, but over the last few days I have noticed this doesn't seem to work for many posts and new topics, although it does work occasionally.

Did it to me last night.
Never noticed it before.

Bottlebank

shotlighter said:
Bottlebank said:

Did it to me last night.
Never noticed it before.

Definitely did it to me last night, but I've just come back from a weeks holiday at the weekend and it only showed three or four new posts. Never spotted it happening prior to that.

TheBitterEnd

It has always happened for me and I suspect for everyone else, it's just easy to not notice if you have a long list of unread stuff going back a few days. I noticed this because I have been looking at say 5 items in the unread list, viewed one then clicked "Show unread posts since last visit" rather than using "back" on the browser and I get a list of 2.

However, once all the items on the unread list have been viewed there is a link that says something like "Click here to show unread posts" which presumably brings back all the missed ones. Clicking "Mark all messages read" clears everything including this list.

Bottlebank

Laurie said:
Works fine for me although I do occasionally have that problem on another forum.

It just did it again, there've been a dozen or more posts since 7ish yesterday when I last looked, "Show unread.." is only listing the last two.

martinm

Bottlebank said:
Laurie said:
Works fine for me although I do occasionally have that problem on another forum.

It just did it again, there've been a dozen or more posts since 7ish yesterday when I last looked, "Show unread.." is only listing the last two.

It's nowt to do with the forums, it's to do with your browser 'sessions'. If you close your browser down then next visit will be counted as a new session. If you hibernate a laptop for instance though, it might think you're the same session and you've already viewed the posts cos it's the same 'session'. It's all a bit techy, tbh.

Best thing is to shut everything down, then you will start a new 'session' next time. But if you have already done a 'Show unread..' then the forum will probably think you've already viewed the posts next time you logon/bootup. Hope that helps.

bograt

I have found that clicking on the title line 'try unread topics' often brings up unread posts, the 'unread posts' on the menu only brings up those since the last visit.

TheBitterEnd

mmilner said:
Bottlebank said:
Laurie said:

It's nowt to do with the forums, it's to do with your browser 'sessions'. If you close your browser down then next visit will be counted as a new session. If you hibernate a laptop for instance though, it might think you're the same session and you've already viewed the posts cos it's the same 'session'. It's all a bit techy, tbh.

Best thing is to shut everything down, then you will start a new 'session' next time. But if you have already done a 'Show unread..' then the forum will probably think you've already viewed the posts next time you logon/bootup. Hope that helps.

It's probably no worth debating this but I would doubt that sessions are the issue. As stated above I have seen several threads disappear after I have gone into one thread and then clicked "show unread posts". This is all in one session in one browser tab.