Problem signing up for new accounts

B

Beer

Was at our club social last night and two of our members were complaining that they have had problems signing up for accounts on this forum. One of them has attempted signing up seven times and has never received the verification e-mail. Anyone know of this problem or a workaround I can relay to them?

andysnook

Hi There,

I had the same problem.  But i managed to get around because i work for an internet company.

The main problem is that the registration email comes from a domain that doesn't actually exist (or a sub-domain, i cant remember exactly).

Our mailserver rejects the email because it's "from" address is from a non existent domain (as an anti-spam measure).  I got around this by setting up a fake entry on my DNS servers, so that my mailserver would accept the email !  I imagine the problems that others (such as yourself) are getting may be the same.

That's the technical reason!  Sorry if it's a bit "techy", but not sure how else to explain it.  I meant to raise it with the forum admin, but never got around to it.  They may be aware of this already.

I'd suggest either it needs to be changed to come from a valid domain/sub-domain.  You could try the same trick as me, but your ISP is very unlikely to help you with that.  I'm just very lucky as I have the tools here.

Andy

B

Beer

Thanks Andy, I never had a problem with it myself so will pass the information onto them. Surely a simple workaround would just be to sign up with a different e-mail address though? IIRC I signed up with gmail so they could set up an account and do that.

SamT

Hi guys - just seen this.

I'll have a word with bubba about it. I guess it all depends on the anti spam abilities of your mail server. I know someone else recently who had the same problem - JB. I'll find out how bubs sorted that one.

Cheers for the heads up

D

darkplaces

I have the same problem with members on c**tplaces. My public static IP address resolves to a BT Dialup pool and so is rejected by email servers with aggressive anti-spam. Amount to the same problem as what ukcaving has got.

The only solution I can think of is to set the forum to use the email server provided by your isp (BT in my case), I know phpBB2 can do this so the ukcaving forum can I am sure. By default our forums use the local machines sendmail service/deamon.

The problem is BT email servers are CRAP, rubbish, overloaded, etc etc and it slows the forum down to have to make an SMTP connection to an overloaded email server.

andysnook

c**tplaces said:
I have the same problem with members on c**tplaces. My public static IP address resolves to a BT Dialup pool and so is rejected by email servers with aggressive anti-spam. Amount to the same problem as what ukcaving has got.

The only solution I can think of is to set the forum to use the email server provided by your isp (BT in my case), I know phpBB2 can do this so the ukcaving forum can I am sure. By default our forums use the local machines sendmail service/deamon.

The problem is BT email servers are CRAP, rubbish, overloaded, etc etc and it slows the forum down to have to make an SMTP connection to an overloaded email server.

You'll find that dialup addresses are often listed on blacklists (DNSBL/RBL stuff).  Which is a pain, but the DNSBL lists are really REALLY useful for stopping spam (at our site we block as much as 95% of incoming traffic this way!).  Relaying through your ISP's servers will avoid that at least.  Classic case of having to decide between two evils.