Active cave group south Derwent.

Mr Ragley

Hi there.
Who's the most active cave group around the south Derwent area? I'm keen to get back into caving but family commitments means it's going to have to be a local hobby so trips will need to be evenings and weekend mornings. I've had a look at the local group websites but they don't give you that sort of info.

Spires

I would recommend Peak District Mines Historical Society(PDMHS), based at Matlock Bath. They have recently formed the UEG (Underground Exploration Group), but you do need to join PDMHS first and then you can join UEG at no extra cost, apart from taking out BCA Insurance, unless you've already got it. Trips, both evening & weekend are advertised in Society Newsletter and also on Society website. Apart from receiving the informative newsletter (Four newsletters per year), you also get two editions of 'MINING HISTORY' per year. An excellent publication. There are other benefits as well, such as; Free admission to the Mining Museum and Temple Mine.

Another active club in this area is the Goodluck Mine Preservation Club(GLMPC). Members attend the 'Open/Working Days' at the mine, which are held on the 'First Sunday in every month' from January to December. Members do also visit the mine at other times and also arrange trips to other local mines and occasionally further afield.

Also, an active cave/mine club in Derbyshire are the TSG, but they are based at Castleton.       

If you do decide to join PDMHS and/or GLMPC you will meet myself at some point, as I lead trips for the Society and I am occasionally up at Goodluck Mine. 

Cheers,
Paul.