Ogof Pant-y-llyn

gus horsley

Does anyone know if this cave still exists and, if so, is there any access to it?  I was involved in the battle with Macalpines to save it about 20 years ago but haven't had the opportunity to revisit it.  Access was very sensitive at the time due to the archaelological remains and bat roost - have any digs been done there?

rhychydwr1

Went there a couple a months ago.  Lower entrance has collapsed.  Upper entrance open, but the u-tubes was flooded.  Do not do sumps anymore.  The whole area is now a nature reserve to protect the turlough.

graham

Most recent reference I can see on the archaeology is:

Murphy, K. (1983) Pant-y-Llyn bone caves. Archaeology in Wales 23: 11.

gus horsley

Thanks guys.  The bottom entrance always was unstable and I'm not surprised it's gone.  The upper entrance only sumped after long periods of rain and was usually open when I went.  I'm thinking there haven't been any trips for a long time.

I believe Graham's archaeology reference was regarding a cave which was opened by quarrying in the 19th century and then destroyed.  It apparently contained a large number of human bones.  The present cave has or had several hundred animal bones from a periglacial fauna, including wolf and possible cave bear.

Have you seen Davies, M. (1985) Ogof Pant-y-Llyn: a new extension. South Wales Caving Club Newsletter 99: 26-28? Not sure what it adds to the other refs just by being later other than the discovery of a bear tooth in 1984 (sadly, I'm at work and can't read it through in detail).

Jopo

Sid

If you go to the SWCC website you can read the SWCC Newsletters online as scanned pdf files.

Jopo

NigR

Access is controlled by CCW. Warning notices have been placed at each entrance giving contact details but in practice if you want to go caving on the reserve you just go and there is no need to contact anyone in advance. Carbide is banned. Use the small car park at the main entrance to the reserve (south of the turlough) and don't park at Pant-y-Llyn terrace (row of cottages north of the turlough) as it may upset some of the residents.

A couple of years ago the CCW had plans to gate all the caves but I managed to get involved and persuaded the local warden that this would not be a good idea. I even became a voluntary warden myself for a while until I got cheesed off with the senseless bureaucracy of it all. Although access is now open the CCW do not want to publicise caving in the area. In fact, one of the things I finally fell out with them about was the fact that they did not want any access details published in Descent. Another stumbling block was that although they were happy for my own group of friends to carry on digging in the caves they did not want other people to be able to do so, a situation I was unable to tolerate.

Despite rumours to the contrary, the lower entrance to Ogof Pant-y-Llyn has not collapsed. There is now a third (tight and awkward) all-weather entrance, discovered (along with 50 metres of new passage) four years ago but not widely publicised. Grwp Ogofeydd Garimpeiros are currently digging within the main cave and at various other sites within the reserve, the potential for further significant discoveries remaining high.

If anyone contemplating a visit requires further info before their trip by all means feel free to contact me (I live a couple of miles away). Otherwise, just go there and enjoy the caves - they are well worth seeing.

NigR

Sadly, the warning notice placed by the CCW on Ogof Pant-y-Llyn main entrance has recently been removed. Hopefully, this has not been done by cavers and it may well be the work of local youths who have been seen to frequent the entrance. Whilst the notices could be considered somewhat unsightly by some (myself included), considerable forethought was put into their placement (not to mention time and expenditure). If the person responsible does happen to read this please do not repeat your action - a tiny notice is far, far preferable to a massive gate.

Bryan

Sadly, the warning notice placed by the CCW on Ogof Pant-y-Llyn main entrance has recently been removed. Hopefully, this has not been done by cavers and it may well be the work of local youths who have been seen to frequent the entrance. Whilst the notices could be considered somewhat unsightly by some (myself included), considerable forethought was put into their placement (not to mention time and expenditure). If the person responsible does happen to read this please do not repeat your action - a tiny notice is far, far preferable to a massive gate.
Hi NigR, I am getting back into caving after a lengthy hiatus and live just below Pant llyn so have long thought about getting in there. If you're able to give me any information relevant to planning a trip I would be very grateful.

AR

Unfortunately NigR is no longer with us; this is a 15-year old thread you've resurrected. I don't know if there's anyone else on here active in that area could advise on the current state of things?