Black Mountain dig

T

tracyclimber

I saw a very well shored dig near the Black Mountain - can't tell you exactly where because I don't have my O/S map to hand.  I did wander in for 10'.  There looked like 2 entrances, but the one to the right was blocked.  Does anybody know of any activity in this area please?  Or the name of it?
Thanks

Rhys

You're talking about a massive area there (several hundred square miles?!). Roughly what part of the Black Mountain was it? Any landmarks, other known caves, villages or pubs nearby?

Rhys

mike barnes

The Black Mountain, what a very English sounding name, sure is one big area. Tracyclimber, I've got a few hopefully well shored up digs here. And yes, the right hand one has been refilled. Let me know what area you were in and I'll tell you about the huge breakthrough that will happen here one day. And where maybe you can get a key from.

Rhys

mike barnes said:
The Black Mountain, what a very English sounding name...
Dammit! ;-) That'd be Mynydd Du for the purists. Not to be confused with Mynyddoedd Duon of course, which are at the other end of the National Park.

Rhys

T

tracyclimber

I'll get my map back on Sunday, so will be able to tell you where it was.  I found it by chance - was supposed to be caving that day, but had an 18hour epic in Danny the day before (thank you Brecon Rescue!), so opted for a gentle walk!

T

tracyclimber

In reply to Rhys:
The area was roughly by Banwen Gwyn.  We walked from Glyntawe, across Disgwylfa and dropped down to the track to head north.  The caves were somewhere between Banwen Gwyn and Disgwylfa.
Is this any help?

rsch

Narrows it down a bit, but it would help if you could describe it a bit better. Shored with timber/scaffolding/rock? Stream or no stream? Entrance the size of a dustbin lid/garage door? On the open moor/in a shakehole? On a slope/on the flat? Close to a path heading north/south/east/west? When you say two entrances, is that adjacent, or metres apart? If you went in for 10', what was it like?

SamT

Totally off topic, but,

Tracy, is the girl in your avatar you? and if so - are you wearing a garter whilst milking your cow?  :coffee:

mrodoc

Also off topic. Where in Cornwall do you come from? jethroland or further north. The wife is from Sancreed.

Rhys

tracyclimber said:
In reply to Rhys:
The area was roughly by Banwen Gwyn.  We walked from Glyntawe, across Disgwylfa and dropped down to the track to head north.  The caves were somewhere between Banwen Gwyn and Disgwylfa.
Is this any help?

Well, it does narrow it down a little, but I really don't know what you saw. That particular region (near Sinc-y-Giedd) is absolutely littered with sinks, shakeholes and digs; active and abandoned. As I'm sure you know, the area is contains sinks for the unknown parts of Dan-yr-ogof - the fabled Giedd series.

One of these days, the Cambrian Cave Register will be online ( http://www.cambriancavingcouncil.org.uk/registry/ ) and many of the dig sites will have associated photos (and grid refs) that you could browse. In the meantime, there is a copy of the Black Mountain Cave Survey records (with photos and grid refs) in the library at SWCC that may show the site (if it existed before about 1997).

I hope that helps.

Rhys

rhychydwr1

tracyclimber said:
I'll get my map back on Sunday, so will be able to tell you where it was.  I found it by chance - was supposed to be caving that day, but had an 18hour epic in Danny the day before (thank you Brecon Rescue!), so opted for a gentle walk!

or you could buy a guide book  ;)