ZIP WIRES ACROSS THIRLMERE

bones

Yes its unbelievable!  There are plans to have zip wires over Thirlmere. The deadline for objections is 12th January 2018. 
Write that letter of objection you?ve been meaning to write. It?s never been easier.  Info below from Simon Noble

Just click on this link and, write an email and press SENDmailto:thirlmereactivity@lakedistrict.gov.uk

You must quote the planning application number 7/2017/2298

You must include your name, full postal address and the date.

Click on this link for advice on what to write: https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/news/thirlmere-activity-hub-application
Please post a copy of your letter to this email address so that we have an idea of how many letters have gone in: noziphere@outlook.com

The planning office says the petition is significant but more significant is your personal letter of objection.

Advice received from the planning board is that to ensure you write about your personal experiences and feelings about Thirlmere now and what you might envisage if the plans go ahead.

For best effect do not write paragraph after paragraph of quoted strategies. I reckon they will get bored with your letter and move on. They know what the strategies are. If you need to refer to a particular strategy or objective quote the number only.

Please get in your letter of objection. 

Send another one if you want to; you are quite within your rights to do so.

The following addresses take you to statements of objection by notable bodies

Friends of the Lake District  https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/Handlers/Download.ashx?IDMF=9b90fff4-9c7e-44f5-8475-3b5365d950a2

National Trust  https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/press-release/our-response-to-the-planning-application-for-the-proposed-thirlmere-activity-hub?campid=SocialShare_Central_MainSite_Facebook_1431795998084

Open Spaces Society 

Wainwright Society

The BMC

Campaign for National Parks

Local Parish

John Muir Trust

Visit the zip off website for other useful information.

Oceanrower

Because putting a man made structure across a, err, no doubt entirely natural, reservoir will really spoil the ambience of the, err, entirely natural reservoir.

I really can't get overexcited about something man made being built over something man made in a completely artificial environment.

Mark

At least the friends of the Lake District are based in the Lake District, unlike the Sheffield based "Friends of the Peak District" who won't be happy until the whole place is a theme park for ramblers, without unsightly quarries, mines, etc

BradW

If you agree with Bones, then you have been made aware of the proposal and now have the means to object.

If you don't agree with Bones, likewise, you can write in to voice your support.

I can't see much point in voicing objections/support here - it's the planning authority that needs to hear from you.

tony from suffolk

As someone who spends half his time in Keswick, I've been following this for a while. Although Thirlmere's a reservoir, you'd not know it by its appearance. Haweswater's also a reservoir, but similarly picturesque. I think many folks accept that you've got to have commercial enterprises within the National Park to help the local economy, tourism being the main source of income in the area. We had a similar situation at Honister, where a proposed long zipwire was refused permission in what is, in fact, a large slate quarry. However, with Thirlmere, leaving aesthetic considerations aside, the proposal involves the zipwires crossing the busy A591 at two points, with the potential to be a major distraction to drivers on that road. It's this latter factor, rather than the potential blemish on the scenery, that'll scupper the application.

ttxela2

tony from suffolk said:
As someone who spends half his time in Keswick, I've been following this for a while. Although Thirlmere's a reservoir, you'd not know it by its appearance. Haweswater's also a reservoir, but similarly picturesque. I think many folks accept that you've got to have commercial enterprises within the National Park to help the local economy, tourism being the main source of income in the area. We had a similar situation at Honister, where a proposed long zipwire was refused permission in what is, in fact, a large slate quarry. However, with Thirlmere, leaving aesthetic considerations aside, the proposal involves the zipwires crossing the busy A591 at two points, with the potential to be a major distraction to drivers on that road. It's this latter factor, rather than the potential blemish on the scenery, that'll scupper the application.

I remember talking to Mark about the plan for the zipwire at Honister before his unfortunate death. I'd just done the Via Ferrata with my youngest daughter and my niece. I understand there may be some grounds to objections but it would have been a hell of a ride!

tony from suffolk

Yes, Mark's death was a real tragedy. His wife seems to be carrying on the tradition of developing the quarry for tourism, all sorts of things going on, and good luck to her. The planning application was turned down, as I understand it, because of potential damage to sensitive flora on the quarry face. It was supported by the local business community as well as a large percentage of the locals. Chris Bonnington was also in favour. As you say, it would have been one hell of a ride!

cooleycr

NIMBYs....

I enjoyed the Honister VF very much, I cannot see many people making the effort to go all that way just going to see the Slate cutting machines so I bet their income is way higher then before.
And what impact does it have on the scenery? Very little as it is such a small diameter cable, much like the Zip-Wire would be...
Man-made objects on Man-made objects - what about all these mines so many of us enjoy visiting - made a right mess of the landscape in Derbyshire etc, what with all those mounds you se in the fields and piles of rocks that look like Pizza ovens, bloody eyesore... 
And as for "distracting drivers" - their eyes should be on the road at all times, are they affected by aircraft flying overhead (not unless they haven't been out in the past 100+ years)..
Was anybody distracted by the Wonderbra billboards? - erm, actually, bad example..

But seriously, if it is done sympathetically, doesn't impact the local flora and fauna and genuinely aides the local community and helps it to continue rather than stagnate (or get run-down etc.) then fine by me...

Tommy

Just because we've mined, quarried, and built structures in the past that are 'eyesores', doesn't mean it's okay to continue to do so.

In the past the human race has done countless things in a less than ideal way without a moment's consideration, and as time goes on we seem to begin learning from some of our mistakes.

The past precedes the future but does not have to be a precedent.

As somebody who grew up in (near) the Lakes, I appreciate the importance that tourism and 'wilderness entertainment' has to the area.

The via ferratta has been adapted from the old miners route, and is no more of an eyesore (from the road/hills) than some climbers having a day on the crag.

A zipline with it's accompanied yips and yells would be unbefitting as a miner's transportation method, and is a significant step away from activities traditionally conducted on the fells and crags.

Go Ape in Grizedale (and the other high ropes courses, Treetop etc.) are secluded by trees, which helps the visual and audible impact on the surroundings. I have enjoyed both these centres and the Honister VF as one-offs as I'd imagine most the customers do. I have also enjoyed countless additional days as far away from it all as possible in the more empty spots of the Duddon, Mosedale, high up on any fell that isn't a Wankright.

It's difficult, as an ex-local who's family income did not rely on tourism, and having enjoyed the Lakes predominantly for it's wilder aspects, I don't have an answer. However, I know I disagree with the notion of zipline construction anywhere in the Lakes, at least as permanent fixtures - those who have zipped across Hodge Close with an outdoor group or independently for a day will agree that it is a fun thing to do (though it was distracting climbing underneath them! but we share the space afterall).

My 'ex-local' status shouldn't give my argument any more weight than anyone else's, but it certainly evokes certain feelings when such things are linked so closely to home.

tony from suffolk

Personally, I'm fairly ambivalent. I was all for the Honister zipwire, it was gong to be in a stone quarry, but in the case of  Thirlmere, there's no doubt that the plans for the zipwire and associated buildings, additional car parks etc. etc. will have a significant impact on a rather more picturesque place than Honister.

bones

Thank you Bradw quite right.  My reason for the post was not discussion but to bring this to your attention and to urge people to write objections to the proposals BY TOMORROW ie to take action on something that people feel strongly about or if you prefer to add your name to the petition organised on 38degrees (https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/say-no-to-zip-wires-across-thirlmere ).  Oh and as for the NIMBY comment - this is not my Back Yard and not even our backyard -  we are its caretakers for posterity. 

thomasr

A discussion on this forum is a good thing insomuch as rather than blindly following bones and ticking a box. The reasons fo and against are aired  A valid reason against being the traffic hazard mentioned earlier

ChrisJC

I would definitely have a go. Given the entirely man-made nature of the landscape, a few wires aren't going to hurt.

Chris.

paul

There are many examples of lanscapes with man-made features. Many are intrusive and ugly and further developments probably would not make a lot of difference. Thirlmere is not one of them. It is an example of a landscape where man has made huge differences, but still has much natural beauty because it doesn't have such intrusions as zipwires and the additional infrastructure, car parks etc.

tony from suffolk

You'll be pleased to learn the planning application for the Thirlmere Zipwire scheme has been withdrawn following the MoD's concerns over possible danger to low-flying aircraft.