7th pair in 10 years. Wellies?

alastairgott

So I've been doing some calcs, (based on the fact that my helmet turned 10 years old in May).

I have just bought my 7th pair of wellies and hope that they might last a little longer than all of my other pairs. (including 2 pairs of Etche wellies as no's 3 and 4)

Is this an excessive stat, ie am I unusual in how many wellies I have torn through?

The last pair which I am replacing have lasted about 7-8 months, as there is a rip halfway through the sole, which will probably enlarge till the boot just splits in half.

PeteHall

Depends what type of caving you do. I must have got through double that at least in the last 10 years and I've not been caving much for the last four since having kids...

I started getting through them quicker after moving to Mendip and doing more crawling. They always go through on the toe now, where I used to find they wore out on the soles quicker in the Dales...

nearlywhite

I go through a pair an expedition and probably 1 a year. So over 10 years I'm probably on 15-20 now... Can confirm the toe going with crawly stuff.

Works out at about 30p a trip for me.

Oversuits is where I lose the big cash

Ian

Whilst some people complain about the Dunlop Red Soled wellies they do have a steel sole plate preventing the sole from splitting. I had a pair that lasted a number of years - I then lent them to someone at work who complained because they leaked - but they looked solid to me and meant they were free draining!

crickleymal

I had a pair of the Dunlop red soled wellies when I was an archaeologist. They lasted well over a year and were worn 8 hours a day, every day in the winter. Admittedly not crawling over stones but still hard work.

alastairgott

My replacement as it happens this time is the dunlop red sole. Toecap and textured front (to protect the shins) got them at screwfix for ?3 more than the standard Dunlop?s in a caving shop.

I?ll see how they go.

One pair every expedition, that?s going a bit isn?t it?

David Rose

I find the red sole Dunlops give me blisters on the outside of my big toes.

I have started using Bestard canyoning boots, which are expensive, but incredibly comfortable. Then, I do less caving than you. But the last pair did pretty active and wearing trips to Mexico, Mulu, and Germany (Riesending), as well as caving in the UK at least once a month, and I had them for about 18 months. 

alastairgott

One of our members has done pretty much identical caving to me in Bestards and worn through the material on the toe in about 6-8 months (but I could be wrong on timescales there).

I think if you're going to buy bestards and use them in British caves you'll probably have to pick when you use them. (but that's just my opinion).

I know very few people who would speak badly of Bestards though, which may be down to how well they are made or how much money has been spent on them  :eek:

andrewmcleod

alastairgott said:
One of our members has done pretty much identical caving to me in Bestards and worn through the material on the toe in about 6-8 months (but I could be wrong on timescales there).

I did that, so I glued a strip of rubber over the top as a sort of higher Rand. Problem solved :)

I used 4mm rubber but I would recommend thinner (otherwise you spend all day grinding it down).

cavemanmike

I've had a pair of bestards for about 2years, cave once maybe twice a week. I do a lot of free climbing in caves and find the grip excellent. Wellies are not up to climbing avens etc etc

PeteHall

I used the red soled Dunlops for a while (three consecutive pairs) I really liked them, but found they split behind the toe cap, then filled with gravel/ sand/ mud while crawling, so I gave up.

Since having kids, I started going to car boot sales and have found the going price for a pair of wellies is ?1, regardless of type/ brand, so I just use whatever I get (normally basic green Dunlops, but occasionally something nicer :) )

DCA

The longest-lasting I've used at the cheaper end of the scale are definitely the Screwfix 'Site' wellies, at around ?17, though I have managed to pick them up cheaper once. They last a very long time before they let water in, and I really abuse them. The only downside I've found is very wide tops, so it's really difficult to get AV suit legs over them, but it does mean you can stuff thick suit legs (and shinpads) inside them easily. I'm not sure whether buying more expensive wellies would be cost-effective for me.

nearlywhite

alastairgott said:
One pair every expedition, that?s going a bit isn?t it?

Much more sharp crawly stuff, plus it's nice to have a bit of spare baggage space on the return trip so I guess it's a lower threshold for Welly damnation.

In this country they get donated to student caving clubs  :LOL:

badger

Dunlop green wellies with rubber sole, I have not paid more than ?10.00 for a pair, generally last me about 18 months, after which they are slicks, never have I gone through the toe box