Caving in The "Marches"

G'day Everyone,

I'm seeking feedback from any who care to help with my researching for my new historical fiction story that has been in the works for 7-8 years.

I've reached a part in the story where I have a group of people discovering a hidden cave in Tack Wood, just outside of Hay-on-Wye. What I need to learn is the nature of the land in and around that area, whether there are any noteworthy caves, or if that area doesn't support the natural formation of caves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated asap and all persons helping me will be acknowledged in my book.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to your feedback.

David Rose

There are no caves anywhere near Hay. The geology does not support them: it's all sandstone and shales, not limestone, in which most caves are formed. There are small caves further down the Wye at Symonds Yat, and some major systems near the confluence with the Severn at Chepstow.

Graigwen

....I suppose it is not that far to the mighty cave system of Nash Scar.

Does this still exist? I have not been there since 1970 when my pin striped suit was ruined by the bat sh*t.

mikem

Different Tack Wood, the one in question is just south of Hay, other is further north near Knighton.

Nearest cave to Hay that I know of, is Llewelyn's Cave, but that is much closer to Builth (click on sites & by type):
http://www.cambriancavingcouncil.org.uk/registry/CCRm.htm

You can also click on geology, which gives Tack Wood as being sandstone, so not really suitable for anything more than rock shelters, although ancient mines are possible (although nearest are Talachddu Lead Mine, other side of Glasbury, or Hen-Allt slate mine, near Builth).

Mike

Many thanks guys, your feedback is exactly what I am after. And David, thanks for the additional info ... it's very valuable for my research.

I'm going to make note of your names, if you don't mind, so I can acknowledge you in my book. I hope to have my book published the early part of 2020. :D :D :clap:

prahja

David Rose said:
There are no caves anywhere near Hay. The geology does not support them: it's all sandstone and shales, not limestone, in which most caves are formed. There are small caves further down the Wye at Symonds Yat, and some major systems near the confluence with the Severn at Chepstow.

Not sure that the 10th (could be wrong here, but it was !) longest cave in the UK counts as a small cave, which is near Symonds Yat (resurges just downstream of the Yat) :)

Edit - just looked on ukcaves - it?s the 12th longest in the uk ! (But nearby is the 7th longest - that started out natural before mining)

prahja

David Rose said:
Are you talking about Stream Sink? That is a long way from Hay.

No - I dont know that one !

I was talking about the caves near Symonds Yat that are pretty big !!! They are the 6th longest (Clearwell Caves) and 12th longest (Slaughter Stream Cave aka Wet Sink locally) in the uk. I was just correcting the comment about ?small caves further down the Wye at Symonds Yat?....

David Rose

I meant Wet Sink. That is about 7 miles from Symonds Yat. Clearwell Caves are mostly mines, so don't really count. Neither is near Hay on Wye.

mikem

Clearwell is a metal mine & like all such sites is worked out natural passage, as that's where the minerals precipitated.

prahja

Last post on this as it?s getting a bit silly - Wet Sink resurges just downstream of the Yat (a few hundred metres) It?s nowhere near 7 miles from the Yat! It?s just over the hill if you walk. If you drive it?s 2.5 miles (if you used google maps it shows 7 miles which implies you dont know the area or where to park!) Clearwell is mostly natural cave that has been mined along the natural passage. It?s worth a visit - it?s huge and pretty much unsurveyed.

RobinGriffiths

There's a narrow, but regionally extensive band of Silurian calcrete (Bishop Frome Limestone Member) just to the south of Hay. I don't know if you get karst in calcrete, but it does appear to be associated with several springs.

Stuart France

You could always ask Google.  It's amazing what offers come back when you search for something that doesn't exist!

Attachments

• HayCaves.jpg
    HayCaves.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 168
Thanks Stuart. I checked Google and Google Earth at the very start, but thought I would get better first-hand info right from those who actually cave in the area. You have all been extremely helpful.