'Must Do' caves in the Dales

Madness

I've only ever done 3 caves in the dales (Simpsons Through Trip, Ireby Fell and Stream Passage). This was probably more than 25 years ago.

So, I've decided that I need to do some more before I get too old.

Can anyone suggest any 'must do' caves, both SRT and non SRT?

Also given that the guides are out of print, is there anywhere online that I can get relevant info/surveys/descriptions. I've found a few surveys on Cavemaps.org after a quick look.

Cheers in advance.

Alex

Best description for all 3 of those is in the Not for the faint hearted guide. Most well written guide I have used.

Brains

Elliots SRT guide gives a good hit list for the dangly bits, getting a copy is the hard part!
Rowten Pot should be a must, and Cow Pot for the awesome last pitch out of the roof
By the time you have explored Lancaster / Easegill I am sure you will be quite tired, but Mongo Gill is also worth a visit.
Likewise Gaping Ghyll is worth many trips....

RobinGriffiths

Gingling
Juniper Gulf
Little Hull
Tatham Wife
Meregill
Top Sink to Mistral or Wretched Rabbit as shorter option
Pool Sink to... Ditto...

although LH and TH maybe not must do, but I quite like them.

Robin

hannahb

Some favourites of mine are

Kingsdale Master Cave
Rowten Pot
Simpson Pot
Tatham Wife Hole
Notts 2
Lost Johns
County Pot
Wretched Rabbit
Any trip into Lancaster Main Drain

tamarmole

Rather than following the herd you could head off the beaten track a little bit - slightly more obscure favourites of mine include:

Hagg Gill  Pot - Langstrothdale
Darnbrook Pot - Darnbrook Fell
Out Sleets Beck Pot - Pen y Ghent Gill
Cliff Force Cave - Wensleydale

Alex

I thought OSB was on the beaten track, what with it being P bolted and all.

Another favourite of mine, on the other side of the valley to Hagg Gill, is Pasture gill, though some bolts are suspect (some have been replaced) not by me.

David Rose

Penyghent Pot. Not the horrible bits, just the main route to the sump - a fantastic trip by any standards.

Lost John's Cave, and its associated other entrances (now including Notts 2).

Black Shiver Pot. Easy for its grade.

Dale Head Pot.

Simon Wilson

Alex said:

Another favourite of mine, on the other side of the valley to Hagg Gill, is Pasture gill, though some bolts are suspect (some have been replaced) not by me.

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=17433.0

Just been reading a thread on Pasture Gill. Cavers have some strange attitudes to anchors. Does nobody know there is a BCA anchor scheme?

Sorry - bit off topic.

tamarmole

Alex said:

Didn't realise OSB had been P bolted- when I did it we did it on ladders off a mixture of 8mm spits and naturals, mind you that was some time last century.

JAA

Cliff Force in Wensleydale! Bah the cheek of it!

I'll add:
Vesper Pot
Knacker Trapper Hole
Brown Hill Pot
Langstroth Pot

Inferus

Not got time right now to provide links but for information: NFTFH book is excellent for information on the harder trips and the CNCC produce a rigging guide for all the caves they have re-bolted. Online there's Cavemaps for surveys, Braemoor for descriptions/guides and more recently re-bolted caves the IC-Resin anchor site has a few topos.

Some of the fine caves, personal opinion obviously, in no particular order.

Meregill - a fine clean washed feast.
Lost Johns' Cave - a few options for the vertical and a good stroll at the bottom (Boxhead and Cracker provide interesting alternative ways in/exchanges) or do lots of squirming through to Notts II. It's far easier to descend Committe Pot/Iron Kiln tackle free and enjoy the fantastic Notts II streamway the easy way!
Pool Sink - best way in to Ease Gill IMO, can be done in-out or pull-through/exchange to other entrance (lots of choices) - pre-rig Lancaster for exit after pull-through if you're short on bodies or exchange with Cow if you've plenty so you can sample the main drain. Plenty of variety, the only problem being route finding...
Birks Fell Cave - not much vertical but loads of great caving, a satisfying long trip.
Penyghent Pot - classic sporting pothole.
Alum Pot - it's a stunning open shaft, direct or go via Churns to enjoy that well known view.
Long Kin East Cave/Pot - maybe, I liked it - pleasant streamway and big shaft, can be done as exchange with Rift, doesn't seem as popular as other nearby places (like the equally fine Juniper Gulf) though.
Manchester/Goyden Pot- start in one, through, round and out via Church Pot perhaps, plenty of horizontal variety.

There's plenty of other great trips to be had though, depends what you like I guess (easy/hard, wet/dry, vertical/horizontal, short/long and the list probably goes on...)