Underground Session at Kendal Mountain Festival - 15th November, 8pm!!

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
wl

Friday 15 November 2019 at 20:00 - 22:30

Kendal Town Hall

JOIN US FOR THE LATEST BIG NIGHT OF STUNNING CAVING FILMS AND FASCINATING TALKS.

Curated and presented by UKCaving, the event features speakers and films you?re unlikely to see anywhere else! Including Richard 'Roo' Walters, a Londoner with a lifetime of caving stories and who has become, "a bit of an expert" on 3D cave surveying. Roo was recently asked to scan Tham Luang Cave, Thailand, from where 12 boys and their coach were spectacularly rescued, to illustrate a film for National Geographic, and found out a few things that are not in the mainstream story...

TALK - DACHSTEIN: THE SEARCH FOR THE DEEPEST CAVE IN THE WORLD
JOEL CORRIGAN

For half a century a team of (mainly) British explorers have been pushing deep, hard caves below the Dachstein Massif of the Austrian Alps.  Twice per year (both winter & summer), their labours have continued without a break.  Finally this monumental effort has paid off in grand style with the discovery of one of the deepest & longest caves in the world: the 1.56km deep & 113km long WUG-Hirlatzh?hle system.  Joel Corrigan, the project organiser for the last twenty years, relates the trials & tribulations of what has been one of the most daunting caving expeditions of all time.

TALK ? THE LURE OF CAVING
ROO WALTERS

What is it to be a caver, what is the point? What is it that attracts us to give up our spare time, spend all our money, compromise relationships and wrestle with employers to pursue this activity. Roo,  through illustrating his various adventures over the last forty years hopes to illustrate why this consuming passion drives us all forward and in doing so will show the audience just some of the most spectacular places on the planet. In doing so, he will reveal some of our methods, results and how technology has always and continues to influence and open up new avenues for caving and cave exploration. Bio. Roo Walters has been caving since he was seventeen, when he arrived by motorbike from London, in the Yorkshire Dales to go caving with people he'd never met, at a place he'd never heard of, who spoke with an accent he'd never listened to. All on the basis of a posted invitation to join a trip down Sunset Pot, arising from a naive enquiry about learning more about potholing sent to Sid Perou, the producer of a recent BBC series on caving called Beneath the Pennines. Forty years later, he is still friends and still caves with people he met on that curious day, though growing up in London he is still yet to understand much of what they say. He has a life of stories, adventures and fun - to illustrate the lure of caving and hopefully encourage a few more of the audience to give it a go. He has become a 'bit of an expert at 3D cave surveying and was recently asked to scan Tham Luang Cave, Thailand, from where 12 boys and their coach were spectacularly rescued, to illustrate a film for National Geographic. In doing so he found out a few things that are not in the mainstream story........

FILM ? DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE BY MIKE WEBSTER

James Roddie is a caver, climber and a professional photographer. He's also a 30 year old man with an eating disorder. After the death of his father, James deals with it the best way he knows how - heading underground with his camera. Delving into his story, James candidly explores why caving, adventure, and mental health are so intricately tied together.

Mike Webster is a Scottish filmmaker, and has been making films since he left school... and as a DoP, in pretty much every genre.
In recent years he has found a love for stories in the exploration and adventure world, and has really started to focus on directing and what we can take away from the real life stories around us.

:D Book your tickets here: 
https://www.kendalmountainfestival.com/tickets?eventinstanceid=964934
:D

The whole 'Kendal Mountain Festival is well worth a visit if you haven't been previously, here's the trailer for some inspiration:

https://youtu.be/xzAnZ29140s

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Bump - a reminder folks.

Bar opens at 7.15pm and there was a great atmosphere last year with lots of cavers catching up over a pint.  Also open at the interval  :beer: :beer:

If you've not been before, treat yourself to a weekend at The Kendal Mountain Festival - starting with the Underground Session!

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Tickets selling really well - thanks to all who are coming to support this event  (y)

Not booked yours yet??  It's dark and dismal outside - come join your caving mates for a night of talks, films and a pint at The Underground Session at Kendal a week tomorrow! ;)

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I understand the talk by Roo Walters is going to feature some state of the art scanning work over the Three Counties system.  From Dales digging to the Thai Cave rescue - Well worth a look  (y)

droid

If he uses the photo of me s******g myself on the big drop in Pozo del Arguilles, I hope he gets my name right, unlike the YUCPC 30th Reunion.... :LOL:

Hint Roo: it begins with D not H  ::)

tony from suffolk

I happen to be in Keswick when this is on, but I'll need to drive to Kendal if I'm going to make it in time. What's the car parking situation like please?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
We usually use the Supermarket (Booths) car park as it is quite close to the Town Hall.

TheBitterEnd

tony from suffolk said:
I happen to be in Keswick when this is on, but I'll need to drive to Kendal if I'm going to make it in time. What's the car parking situation like please?

There is a reasonable amount of parking at Dowkers Lane carpark behind the Boyes shop and is closer than Booths. Turn right off Highgate after the turning for Abbot Hall, you can use any of the alleys to walk up on to Highgate. That said get there early because it does get full during the festival, free after 6pm

tony from suffolk

Thanks for the information Mr TheBitterEnd, but due to time constraints I'll not be able to turn up until later, if at all...

What's the chances of me being able to buy tickets on the door folks?

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
tony from suffolk said:
Thanks for the information Mr TheBitterEnd, but due to time constraints I'll not be able to turn up until later, if at all...

What's the chances of me being able to buy tickets on the door folks?

From what I'm told, this year at KMF you can go to the 'Base Camp' and there will be screens telling you what is available there and then that day/evening, however I do get the feeling that this will mean the few remaining tickets for the Underground Session will sell out as people who turn up on the Friday book last minute.....however, you never know, you might be lucky :)

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Alex said:
Me and John will be there.

Excellent, Looking forward to seeing you there :)

I called at KMF HQ today and was told they reckon the Underground session will be a sell out which will the first time at this larger venue (though it was close last year). There are 29 tickets left as of now so if you are planning on coming, best get booked in :)

adventurebarbie

Folks I've watched Mike Webster film thats been shown at KMF and I must say - it blew me away.

Looking forward to seeing you all there and for a few pints afterwards.
The tickets just literally almost sold out so grab one quick if ya wanna come along.

Cheers
Steph