Water levels in Wretched Rabbit

Trog

On Saturday, before Christmas, with heavy rain forecast I went down Lancaster Hole and through the high level route to Stop Pot. From here I wanted to go and see how much water was in the various exit routes. I went to Holbeck junction, crossed the stream and then turned back when I saw the water level, and recent flood debris in Green and Smelly passage. I then took the dry connection to Straw Chamber, went back to Stop Pot, where the water had risen appreciably in the previous half hour. Half way up Stop Pot, I took the crawling passage to Four Ways Chamber and went to look at Wretched Rabbit. I was surprised to find a trickle of about two inches of water in the streamway. There was no evidence of recent flooding (that I could find) and the water was running clear, not brown like at Stop Pot. I set off up Wretched Rabbit, and was really surprised by the lack of water. In places the passage was completely dry, with water diverted away from the route through, and in others it was a mere trickle. Climbing the cascade was easy, and I didn't see much water until I got to the big rift. Here there was a thundering waterfall from the ceiling going directly down spiral staircase passage. It was easy enough to traverse round without getting more than splashed. The climbs had no more than a trickle of water coming down and climbing up was no problem. (Thank you to the person who has put the monster size handline in place, it's brilliant.) The water level in Easegill was about a foot below the level of the cave entrance as I left. On the walk back across the fell it was obvious that there had been serious amounts of rainfall during the day.
What I am interested to know is whether the opening up of Spiral Staircase into the Big Rift has reduced the flow in Wretched Rabbit? Can Wretched Rabbit be considered a reliable escape route in wet conditions? Also does anyone have any knowledge of the beck rising enough to flow straight down Wretched Rabbit entrance. I assume this would make the climbs impassable. Has anyone been there when this is happening?
I'm aware that the Manchester Bypass route is a good flood escape route, but am worried about managing to lasso the spike at the pitch in order to get out.
If anyone has any experience of Wretched Rabbit in the wet I would be interested.
Many thanks

susie

Trog said:
What I am interested to know is whether the opening up of Spiral Staircase into the Big Rift has reduced the flow in Wretched Rabbit?

Considerably.

Trog said:
Can Wretched Rabbit be considered a reliable escape route in wet conditions?

Yes.

Trog said:
Also does anyone have any knowledge of the beck rising enough to flow straight down Wretched Rabbit entrance. I assume this would make the climbs impassable. Has anyone been there when this is happening?

I have heard of it happening, but it's very rare.

I've been down WR in very wet conditions before SSP was opened up, and it was refreshing, but no more than that.

dunc

Here there was a thundering waterfall from the ceiling going directly down spiral staircase passage
This along with the inlet just above the hole used to flow down Wretched Rabbit, hence why it is now drier as it drops down Spiral instead - making Spiral somewhat unpleasant (and possibly impassable?) in wet weather..

Also does anyone have any knowledge of the beck rising enough to flow straight down Wretched Rabbit entrance. I assume this would make the climbs impassable. Has anyone been there when this is happening?
Like Susie I've heard it mentioned as an extremely rare event but I've never witnessed it or anything even close to it happening - I've done a high-level through trip when the main stream was backed up a fair few metres and had no problem exiting WR (and that was before Spiral was opened).

I'm aware that the Manchester Bypass route is a good flood escape route, but am worried about managing to lasso the spike at the pitch in order to get out.
You can climb about half-way up the pitch so it's not as difficult as it first sounds, just needs a good throw!

M

MSD

You can climb all the way out without that much trouble, although having a tape to throw over the spike does make life easier since the last move is a bit nasty.

Free climbing the second pitch of County is not that hard either (although if you are going along the Manchester bypass you miss that of course). The trick is to start well back and do a rising traverse, rather than trying to attack it direct.

Mark

Trog

Many thanks Susie, MSD and Dunc.

It would appear that the low water levels I experienced on an extremely wet day were nothing unusual. Good to know.