US bound - any recommended contacts?

nearlywhite

I'm (unexpectedly) off to the states in 2 weeks for 5 whole weeks, going to spend a couple with the family in Florida but quite keen to go on a road trip up to TAG and sample its speleoscene! Any advice?

Kenilworth

I will pm some contact information for TAG people who will be able to help. There are enough hospitable cavers around that you can surely find a place to stay. There are several caves to see. TN has 10,000 , and AL and GA have plenty too.  I live in Ohio, so others will be more qualified to recommend particulars (though I can recommend a few).

I hope you enjoy your trip

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Only cave related but if you get bogged down in Florida a visit to the springs on the west coast can be an unforgeable experience.  We once spent a week kayaking around the springs at Homosassa and Chassahowitzka an absolute wildlife haven.  We were there earlier in the year and the manatees congregated near the warmer waters of the springs in their hundreds.  Kayaking through the early morning mist with the gentle giants surfacing all around and the pelicans overhead is awesome.

If that doesn't 'float your boat' there is always the Weeki Wachee mermaids further south.  A underwater show pioneered by an ex WW2 navy diver and staffed by beauty queens from the nearby town.  Tacky sounding I know but this all takes place in a live spring and the star of the show for me was the wild turtle which inadvertently swam across the 'stage' during the performance.  A bizarre experience but one not to be missed.

nearlywhite

Cheers everyone, the PM was very helpful.

Paul - yeah, in retrospect I should have googled that...

Joe - I'm planning on road tripping to Missouri and fitting as many caves in as I can around TAG, it looks really good.

Oh and Badlad, great suggestion! I happen to have done it before but without the kayak! I accidentally went swimming with manatees.

Thanks all!

And

If you're road tripping to Missouri it's worth heading into Kentucky as there are some great caves there, including a rather long one... I would also recommend making an even futher detour to some of the Indiana caves and can give you some contacts for those.

Amy

Heyo...we have hosted a myriad of UK cavers. Josh Bratchley back in 2012, then Paul Fairman in 2013, and then Pete & Angie Glanvil last summer. Huntsville, Alabama. Hit me up. We have spare rooms and bathroom, live 10 min from HSV airport. I work p/t flex hours and can take people caving mid week so you are not stuck to simply weekends. Would love to add to our collection of Brit underwear! hahaha (EVERYONE has left a pair of underwear here, except Pete & Angie, because we told them everyone does, and pete almost did and found it last minute as we were leaving, DRAT! haha! No worries, it's laundered and folded in the guest bedroom closet now awaiting their returns to pick it up  ;) I'm that nice we washed it!) Seriously though I love the cross culture experience and I have a soft spot for UK'ers =)