Mendip Cave Photography Competition and Exhibition 2017

mrodoc

We hope to run this this year. Being late getting it off the ground. Entries by end of April please. Rules as before:
Mendip Cave Photography Competition and Exhibition Rules
? Eligibility. Anyone may enter the competition. Winning entries from previous exhibitions will not be accepted.
? Categories. There are no specific categories but MCRA are awarding a separate prize for images of caves, or parts of caves, that for want of a better word are off the beaten track.
? Judging will be by a panel of two judges whose decisions are final.
? Images.  Initially to be submitted as low res jpegs to Peter Glanvill. If you need my email PM me (mrodoc). A maximum of 5 per entrant.
? Pre selection. Depending on number of entries the organizing team may select those entries that are to be printed for exhibition. They may be able to organize printing of images themselves if entrants so wish.  Maximum size of entry including frame will be A3.
? Copyright & Reproduction. The copyright of all entries will remain with the authors. Entries may be retained beyond the period of exhibition for the purpose of developing a permanent rolling exhibition of prints of Mendip caves with the permission of the authors. Individual authors will be credited. No rights will be conceded to sponsors or other parties without permission of the entrants, and entrants will be free to set terms for any such use.
? Loss, Damage & Insurance. Every care will be taken of the entries, but the organisers cannot accept responsibility for any damage or loss. The organisers will not be insuring the photographs and, if required, entrants should make their own arrangements.
? Labelling. Each entry should be accompanied by the full name of the entrant and the title of the image.
? Return of prints. After problems with return of prints in previous years it is proposed that at the end of the exhibition period that prints are available for collection from Wells Museum during museum hours. There is now a dedicated Facebook page to which interested individuals can post.
? All entries to be received by April 30th .  The exhibition will be centred in a two week period around the date of the Awards evening to be announced.

mrodoc

Entries can be sent digitally but we need prints to exhibit. And yes it is Mendip. And any potential sponsors are extremely welcome to contact me.

mrodoc

Not too late to enter but I would like entries in by the end of next week please.  The presentations will be on 2nd June at 7 Pm at Wells Museum unless you hear otherwise. I am pleased to say prize sponsors have been lined up. I also have an arrangement to get entries printed and mounted A4 by DH James of Wells for ?4.20 a print.

The Old Ruminator

Yes. It needs supporting by Mendip Cavers . Forget the competition aspect its primarily an exhibition for the public and may well attract more people to our sport. ( Er -- Maybe not with my photos. ) :unsure: Lots of images get sloshed about Facebook so lets support this event.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
mrodoc said:
I am pleased to say prize sponsors have been lined up.

Do mention what/who the prizes/sponsors are - if companies/folks are supporting caving, let's support them back  :hug:

UKC will also donate a prize - details to follow ;)

I also agree with OR - lots of photos posted on facebook (and we all know how much fb care about cavers, caves and caving) - hopefully cavers will support the competition/exhibition and new cavers will be attracted to our wonderful sport  :)

Now to share this on fb (if you can't beat them.....)

mrodoc

Sorry, I forgot D H James of Wells who do a reduced rate for printing and mounting for entrants and, of course, Wells Museum who have supported the event over the last 4 years.

rhychydwr1

For those with short memories:

"The presentations will be on 2nd June at 7 Pm at Wells Museum unless you hear otherwise. "

mrodoc

A couple of weeks. Will let you all know when they are up. As regards the permanent exhbition at Cheddar that will take a while to set up.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Apologies for the delay, however here's the prize from UKC for the Mendip photography competition.

There's a pair of Bolle sunglasses included worth ?100 - does make me smile offering sunglasses to cavers, however we do spend time above the ground too  8)  ;)

Good luck to all the photographs

wl