A Day With My Son ( 18+) In Reservoir Hole

The Old Ruminator

As nurse is soon coming to give me my Horlicks and tuck me up in bed just the one image for tonight.

The Frozen Deep by TG5 in Live Composite Mode.
Just to prove that it can be done with no flashguns just using a pocket camera and torch.

More another time ---

The Old Ruminator

The " frozen " wall in TFD was the first sight of the chamber we had before entering. I wanted to do a dramatic shot of it in LCM but my son was bored by then so this is hand held IAuto with high ISO.

The Old Ruminator

Part of the wall on standard Programme with camera flash. It was a bad day for back scatter. The chamber varies in this respect and yesterday most of the longer P shots were crap.

The Old Ruminator

" The Forbidden Zone ". Not the easiest of places to light and I cant recall what I used here. If Live Composite Mode has a week point it is depth. The image can look flat and usually you can forget extreme cropping or enlarging. It is what it is. For a thirty second or so set up with minimal kit and fuss you cannot expect perfection. I thought I did well with the opening image with just the two of us. Figures farther back in the image would have helped with scale and depth.

Laurie

foxes_277.gif

The Old Ruminator

I tweaked the image at the top of the post reducing the shadow around the figure and straightening up the pillars at the back. This Postimage photo has been added in at the next size up.( 17 inch monitor ).

You can easily see the downside to LCM. The image tends to look flat and I was unable to compensate for that by having figures further away. That , of course, increases the risk of subject movement. You also get a light grainy colour cast in the image and editing and cropping can only be minimal. Still when you consider all of the photo gear fits into a small pelicase and the set up takes minutes those effects are acceptable to my mind.

My son Jonathan is over from Australia where he emigrated five years ago. He is well over 18 at 45. He did a fair bit of caving with me when he was younger but never really took to it. Jonathan's Chamber in Withyhill is named after him by me as he was one year old the same month I discovered it 44 years ago. ( tempus fugit ).

tony from suffolk

Lovely photographs as usual Mr O.R. I'd really love to visit the Frozen Deep before I shuffle off this mortal coil but not sure I'm up to it now. I'm pretty fit but the joints are not too clever.

The Old Ruminator

It was quiet up by Reservoir Hole yesterday. No toll booths, passport office or strip and search. I was talking to a nice family about our trip and asked one how old he thought I was. He said 45. Yes it was such a lovely day.