Carabiner for petzl basic

Keris82

What is the best carabiner to use with the petzl basic? I have an aluminium one currently but it is wearing on the metal after a few uses which can't be good for the carabiner! I've heard you should use steel but it's extra weight when my kit weighs so much already. I use a steel carabiner on my stop.

Pete K

A steel krab will last longer but will then start to wear the attachment hole on the Basic. Stick with your alloy one, what you're seeing is just more obvious as it is a new device, I've not ever needed to chuck a Basic out because of the hole wearing with an alloy krab. I guess if you have a small diameter krab, like a Grivel Plume, that may show wear faster as there is less metal at the contact point. Some krabs are a softer alloy than others. If I use DMM oval krabs on hanger plates then the steel hanger cuts a line in the krab and I need to sand them down. I don't use DMM for caving any more for that reason. My Petzl krabs don't have the same problem. If you want to give your kit the best chance of a long life, clean kit regularly and if possible use a connector of the same manufacturer as the alloys may be a similar hardness. Total theory that, nothing based on fact, but Petzl Basic + Petzl OK Oval has been fine for me for a long time.

pwhole

I generally use a maillon to connect my Basic to its safety lanyard, and also have a steel carabiner in there for clipping into nasty sharp stuff - it is heavier, granted, but it's virtually damage-proof, and I can't accidentally lose the Basic. I wear out the cam teeth far quicker than I wear through the body at the attachment hole. Though that wasn't the case with the 2013 Croll on a steel D-ring, which pretty much melted away after a year.

Fulk

I'm intrigued by 'clipping into nasty sharp stuff'; I can't work out what you mean ? would you care to explain?

alastairgott

No idea what he means either, but I doubt you're going to get any weight-saving tips off Pwhole. His harness rings like an orchestra of Triangle players! ;)

2 or 3 sizes of spanners, 3 cowstails...

mattajperry

I have mallion rapide's attatched to my chest and hand ascenders. With a aluminium crab at the top to secure the rope.