Interesting Spanner

ZombieCake

I bought an interesting spanner the other day. It's an adjustable one by Brooks of England who are more famed for making bicycle saddles. Unlike most adjustable spanners instead of a screw it has interlocking teeth secured by a metal sleeve. Once locked in place it seems pretty secure. Quite slim and lightweight too as there is no screw mechanism.
  https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/accessories/maintenance-products/1909-adjustable-spanner-tyre-lever.html

Attachments

• Brooks Spanner.png
    Brooks Spanner.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 261

Roger W

Super lightweight adjustable spanner for serious cyclists to carry around with them to make necessary adjustments to their machine while out on a run?

For such people every gramme counts.

Some people even drill holes in their saddle to save weight!

Attachments

• 0507 Mercian.JPG
    0507 Mercian.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 162

ZombieCake

30 quid and no scale, you've been mugged!
Fair point from the photos, there is a mm scale is on the back.  I got it for ?23 from Wiggle, so perhaps partially inconvenienced rather than completely mugged  :) Yes it is pricey, so I guess the likes Victorinox and Leatherman are sort of comparators there.
Have tried it, and it does seem to span, OK it's not a Formula 1 toolkit. Not sure if that's a verb or not: 'to span' - the activity of using a spanner.  Not sure if there is also another associated verb: 'to f & blind - the activity of using a spanner in a confined space.
Apologies for not having a very tenuous goth metal video associated with this  ;)

pwhole

I quite like this, just because someone's actually tried something different that works. Adjustables are usually horrible as the screw thread never holds position, so anything that attempts to improve on that is worth a look IMO. If the teeth are machined well, I don't think ?30 is that bad really. I've wasted plenty of ?30s in my time on far less useful items.