Milwr Tunnel

Johnny

As I work nearby I recently used a cobler in Mould to stitch a harness. He enquired what the harness was for and when I explained he told me about the Milwr Tunnel and Halkyn Mines and how his farther had worked there. He also recommended a book, The Milwr Tunnel, Bagillt to Loggerheads 1897 - 1987 by Chris Ebbs. I bought it that day, very interesting.

Does anybody know anybody who can get access to the mines/caves in this area? I wouldn't mind a trip after work one day.

Access to the mine is controlled by the North Wales Caving Club I believe. I had a trip down there a few years ago, excellent fun. You descend half way down the 400ft deep ladderways on Olwyn Goch and get off into some old workings and eventually get down to the level of the Milwr Tunnel. On the way you get to see some very impressive chambers where Pilkington Glass quarried limestone underground. The Milwr Tunnel eventually reaches a junction where we went right up to Powells Lode Cavern, again very impressive. Back out involved an ascent of all 400 feet of the ladderways which is tiring!

Dan.

dunc

Does anybody know anybody who can get access to the mines/caves in this area? I wouldn't mind a trip after work one day.
A few years back access was gained via Grosvenor Caving Club - who supplied a leader for your trip (which is compulsory, as is insurance).
As for the caves - best bet is contact North Wales CC for current access info.

As Dan says, the Limestone workings are impressive, as is Powells Lode Cavern. Did a fine trip few years back - down OG and along main tunnel down to Powells Lode, then up an incline, along and back down some pitches to reach Barclays Lode, up and down into Powells Lode again and back along the tunnel out out via Limestone workings..

This link is for the ACG Trip report to Milwr Tunnels

http://www.axbridgecavinggroup.org/locations/milwr_tunnels/trip_reports/ACG_VISIT_MILWR_TUNNELS.shtml

This link is for the ACG photographs of Milwr Tunnels

http://www.axbridgecavinggroup.org/pictures/Milwr_Tunnels/September_2004/

Well worth a visit - don't be put off by the 400ft of ladders they are fixed and there are platforms after 20 or so rungs.

HenryB

There is alos the option of going out the adit from beyond Pals Lode. You've got to climb over the railings at the resurgence and jack open the grill to ensure you get out. The water flows for a mile or so with a slight rapids in the middle. Once your past this you can see the "light at the end of the tunnel". We did it on cheap lilos and wetsuits but be sure you don't go down the rapids and burst you lilo like I did - it's a bloody long swim!

There is NO!! Access through the sea level entrance / exit!!! Don't do it! Part of the conditions of being in there is that the water beyond Powells Lode isn't entered! The water rights are owned by Kimberley Clark who have a huge operation drawing water at t'other end.

Just thought I'd point this out!