Belgium Caving

GarDouth

Administrator
Hi, I'm looking at organising a trip to Belgium next year, probably just for a long weekend. I've done a bit of reading but does anyone have any advice of caves to do for two/three days and particularly the best places to stay? Probably going to be taking the ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge and getting a hire car.

Any good books on Belgium?

Cheers.

AA Speleo

Hi Gary, I`m sure "Leclused" from this Forum will be along soon, he is in Speleo Club Avalon, one of the Belgian clubs, or PM him.

Lot`s of good Caves there and of course Beer  :beer: access to the better Caves is a bit restricted  :mad: but the bars have open access.

AA

paul

AA Speleo said:
Hi Gary, I`m sure "Leclused" from this Forum will be along soon, he is in Speleo Club Avalon, one of the Belgian clubs, or PM him.

Lot`s of good Caves there and of course Beer  :beer: access to the better Caves is a bit restricted  :mad: but the bars have open access.

AA

Yes, see the Speleo Club Avalon Website for more info.

I spent a week many years ago on a caving trip near the town of Namur in or near the Aredennes. Excellent caving.

Just don't over do it on the beer...

Pitlamp

The advice you've received so far is very good and I'd recommend a visit to the Ardennes. From York (presumably via Hull?) if you play your cards right you might even do it cheaper than a long weekend on Mendip. It depends on how and when you travel; last time we went I think the best option was via Felixtowe (though this is quite a while back).

It's very useful to arrange it in collaboration with the local cavers as this does help with access. In my experience Belgian cavers are very friendly. They do come over to Northern England caving so, if you offer to host some of them over here in future, I think you'll get plenty of help.

One of the most difficult caves to get in is the Grotte Du Pere Noel. I think even many Belgian cavers can't sort access themselves. I've been in there and it's a superb place - if the possibility of getting on a trip in there does arise, go for it - it would be a very rare opportunity.

If you're having a rest day centred on a show cave the best by far is the Grotte De Han Sur Lesse which is well worth paying for a tour. Just watch out for those aggressive wild boar in the woods! There's plenty of good caving trips (vertical and horizontal) - be guided by the local cavers. None is of any great depth so you'll not need to cart vast amounts of rope over there.

If any of your group are into climbing there's some good limestone lining the sides of the Meuse valley, which is more or less en route for you.

I reckon you'll enjoy a caving holiday over there. Don't glug the Trappiste down like English beer though or you'll probably not get ANY caving done at all!

CatM

Gary, speak to Lieke as well - she's been caving in Belgium recently and has links with a club out there.