Whiskers Cave

gus horsley

I recently came upon a reference to Whiskers Cave which is/was supposed to be somewhere near the road on the way up to Penwyllt.  It has/had very unusual formations, hence the name.  Can anyone tell me anything about it, and whether it still exists?

hell little caver

ah we too discoved this about two years ago were the lat people in the cave! it invoves being dug out but is very pritty! we went it in may 2005! it had been sealed before for 9 years we think. the entrance is as secret to protect the formations.

hell

To find Whiskers Cave, go to the entrance of Cwm Dwr 2, spin around nine times as the cock crows and walk 20 paces in the direction you end up facing. Lol!  :tease:

Whiskers cave was buried many years ago to protect the very unique formations. Some people on the forum have pictures that were taken on the day we opened it up. Perhaps they can provide a link? It hadn't been entered for a long time, probably more than 9 years - I'll ask the Dobsons next time I se them. We sealed it very thoroughly. It really ought to be left another good while as it is so vulnerable.

Where was the reference btw?

Dan.

Huge

There was a photo of formations in Whisker Cave on the cover of Descent a few years back, (12-15 years ago maybe) IIRC.

gus horsley

I saw a picture of the whiskers in Cecil Cullingford's book British Caving which I got from a car boot in Hayle for £1.50 a couple of weeks ago.  Impressive looking formations but there's no scale.  I can understand why the entrance was sealed - they look really fragile.

:unsure: They probably grew from crystal rafts on a very slowly descending water level in a pool. Stuff crystallising out on the surface slow being deposited. There are very similar formations in the connection between OFD1 and OFD 1.5 - they might be related as they're not that far apart......

Dan.