Request for anyone going up Bar Pot way

Pitlamp

As you walk up the dry valley beyond Trow Gill you go past a ladder stile on the left. Immediately over this stile is a shakehole which has slumped in following the extreme weather in February (see picture). The resulting pit is about a metre deep but there's no obvious bedrock and it's probably not very interesting from a cavers' perspective.

However, a fortnight ago there was a sheep stuck in it. After a bit of a rodeo I managed to rescue the sheep but the hole really wants covering. I've been keeping my eye open for the farmer concerned to mention this but our paths haven't crossed. I thought I had an old half door in the shed but it must have got used.

The reason I mention this here is that if anyone happens to be going past and you have a spare bit of wriggly tin or whatever (or if you've a dig on the go nearby with a bit of spare wood) could you shove something over the hole? (Please post here if you plan to deal with this, to save others going out of their way.)

Thanks.

Attachments

• P6040051.JPG
    P6040051.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 249
Morning Pitlamp, I digress but you have just reminded me of an incident from the dim and distant past involving our legendary farmer Roy (Trailer) Taylor who used to haul all our tackle up to GG and the area you describe in your post. We thought we'd get a flying start with a run of gear up the Fell on the Friday night of the start of the meet being young and foolish and contrary to Roy's wisdom but we swept him along with our enthusiasm to the point where we got both his tractors bogged down at "Hell Fire Corner" and fading light. It became clear we wouldn't get them out of the bog until morning so set about getting camping gear off the trailers to set up camp. Roy and his lad were faced with a walk (farmer's nightmare) back to Clapham in the dark but we lent them a light. They got down the hill and must have been close to that hole you have flagged up but hit the fell wall alongside the Trowgill  path. Roy climbed over and then shone the light back for his lad stepping back at the same time. He hadn't seen the little shakehole behind him and rolled over backwards down its slope landing flat on his back at the bottom uninjured. However, he lay there for a while thinking evil thoughts of the CPC and I suspect the air turned blue! He was lying in a bed of nettles and knew the minute he moved he would suffer a thousand and one stings!
Suffice to say he turned up the following day with a wry grin on his face and in his understated manner delivered the message that if anything like that happened again we wouldn't have any tractors or drivers. We got the message and suitably chastised rapidly dug his tractors out of the bog and resumed normal service. 
RIP Roy (trailer) Taylor a true friend of the CPC and OK, the other crew too.

Pitlamp

:LOL:

I have fond memories of Roy - he was a really grand bloke!

Of course, the nettles are usually far worse by August.