The Deep - how many physiology errors can you spot?

mrodoc

Just watched the first episode. Entertaining but the explorers have interesting physiologies :confused:

mrodoc

They are at 2000 foot depth in a sub with a moon pool. ie they are all living at 2000 depth pressure. There are no gas mixtures at present that allow people to do this. they mentioned hydrox which gives you narcosis and neonox which is neon and oxygen and to my knowledge this is no good either. So how are they are surviving and also not having squeaky voices? :unsure:

mrodoc

You really only get the squeaky voices breathing helium. It's all above gas density. the deeper you go the more effort it is to breathe anyway but helium being a light gas, when inhaled, causes the vocal cords to vibrate in a different way. If you breathe sodium hexafluoride this makes your voice deep like those old style cinema trailer voice overs.

Redshift

I hadn't heard of that show. I must check it. But it is possible to "dive" to those depths. Comex divers have worked at 1752 ft 20 years ago, and using a recompression chamber they have had one diver going safely to 2300 ft.

Duncan Price

mrodoc said:
Just watched the first episode. Entertaining but the explorers have interesting physiologies :confused:

More interesting is their dress sense - one of the crew appeared to be wearing a nice cardigan from Top Shop*.  I know astronauts can work on the ISS in a "shirt sleves" enviromnment but they mostly wear regulation NASA T-shirts rather than looking like they're off to a cheese & wine party.

* not that I'd know - information from s/o.  I prefer the attire now being sold in what was Bat Products.

Peter Burgess

Duncan Price said:
* not that I'd know - information from s/o.  I prefer the attire now being sold in what was Bat Products.
Oh, what is the shop like now? Isn't it an Ann Summers outlet these days?  :coffee:

Duncan Price

Peter Burgess said:
Duncan Price said:
Oh, what is the shop like now? Isn't it an Ann Summers outlet these days?  :coffee:

Sadly not - it appears to be some ecological clothes exchange type operation (I did not investigate too closely).

Ralf

mrodoc said:
...moon pool...hydrox

In a high pressure hydrox habitat narcosis would be the least of the problems :D

----------
(oh, sorry, old thread, didn't notice... )

Duncan Price

Ralf said:
mrodoc said:
...moon pool...hydrox

In a high pressure hydrox habitat narcosis would be the least of the problems :D

----------
(oh, sorry, old thread, didn't notice... )

Not if the % age of oxygen is below 4% which is the lower explosive limit.

At 2000 ft the pressure is about 60 bar and you could easily breathe less than 0.5% O2 99.5% H2.  Getting there and back is another problem.