Tank and wing selection for 'spacious water dives'

Ralf

Hi

I have a few questions regarding the Explorer 1 belt harness. I can't find any specific training locally (only for DR Nomad), but I discussed side mount diving with an instructor. I just need a few things confirmed. On most discussion boards nobody uses the Explorer harness, so I must ask here.

I understand that the Explorer belt harness is ideal for 'wet caving' with a wetsuit and 7 l steel tanks (or smaller), but I plan to use it mainly for flooded mines and ice diving, i.e. with a drysuit. Water temperatures range from -1c to a nice and warm +10c ;)

TANKS

I plan to attach two 232 bar 12 l steel tanks to the Explorer belt harness. Empty weight in water: only 2.4 pounds (1.1 kg) each. Full: 10.1 pounds each. These tanks are 6.7'' in diameter and 27'' long.

Have you used a similar setup with this harness? Is it good for an 5.8'' tall person? (size, weight, trim)

WINGS

Has anyone used an UTD Z Trim Plus wing? Is it good? What alternatives are there?

-------------------------
About me:
Present experience: 25 open water dives and 25 ice dives.
Certification: PADI rescue diver, ice diver, drysuit, nitrox.
Future plans: More dives during the summer. Cavern and intro to cave in the autumn/winter.
Task at hand: To get a dual tank setup that is more manageable than the backmounted DIR thing.

SamT

If you are serious about wanting to go cave diving, I seriously suggest you get yourself well established within this group...

http://www.cavedivinggroup.org.uk/

and you question is probably better aimed at the membership on their forum..

Not trying to sound negative or anything, but CGD is where its at for cave diving and you are much more likely to get a better response on the forum there.

Ralf

Doesn't one need to be a member to post on the CDG forum?

I can do caving a few times a year. It would take me years to gain the experience needed for any kind of sump diving (and becoming a CDG member). I'll gladly post there though, if I find a way to register :)

seddon

Just write, Ralf.

I'm sure that various CDG members will happily advise, and point out that there's little difference between ice diving and cave diving except that one has more cold, and the other needs more lights.

Play safely -

Ralf

seddon said:
Just write, Ralf.

I'm sure that various CDG members will happily advise, and point out that there's little difference between ice diving and cave diving except that one has more cold, and the other needs more lights.

Play safely -

Ok, thanks. I posted the question on the CDG message board.

The difference between cave and ice diving: in the former the cave pre-exists. In the latter it must be cut.