Bagshawe Cavern's Upstream Sumps

Johnny

The Upstream Sumps of Bagshawe Cavern have been receiving some attention recently. The Eldon's Bagshawe team have been assisting a CDG member with sump 5.
I am trying to piece together the history of the exploration of these sumps, who has explored them and when?
Can anyone help?

Mark

Eyup

Not really Baggers, but might be worth a look,

Tony Buckley, John Parker and others dived in Berton Pingles Pipe at the bottom of the shaft in the early seventies

I was told there were three sumps, two led to air space and the other one led to a T junction with a very strong flow of water in the cross passage, I dont think they dived downstream ? but upstream led to a wall partially obstructing the passage with the continuation visible beyond,

It might be complete bollocks but might be worth a look considering the proximity to Bagshawe

Johnny

Mark

Funny you should mention that, was diving in the resurgence last night with Jim and we were discussing BP in the pub afterwards. I need to get a bit more competent first but we plan to have a look at the place.
I did some pushing in there, at the updip end of the dry level, a few years ago and found a bit of natural with a small inlet. At that time I remember the horizon of the dry passage being the same as the Hollywood Bowl so the lower level stuff may hit the beddings of the Upper Series/Streamway.
The stike is the same as Lower Stream Passage

Pitlamp

Mark - see CDG Peak District Sump Index 1994 page 9. It doesn't go. As I remember Jerry Murland had a go there (which I think is when the current was thought to have been seen). I also think Simon Brooks dived there more recently and wrote it off. If Simon can't get through then it probably is a write off. The above publication gives all references.