Helmet at Giant's car park

Pete K

Hi all. Lid and lamp currently at Giant's car park. Totally forgot to pick it up and take it to TSG when I left. I'll see if I can swing by tomorrow but if anyone is there before me, maybe drop it at the Chapel or other caving hub until the owner can be found.

Attachments

• P7270001.JPG
    P7270001.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 380

Pete K

This is now in my safekeeping at home in New Mills waiting for the owner to claim it.

Pete K

I still have this on the shelf. I never know how long to hang on to found kit before disposing of it or passing it on.
I have found a feint AE marked on the inside now it is a bit cleaner.
End of the month the helmet is going for scrap (old) and the lights will be moved on to new homes.

AR

If no-one claims the lid, maybe you could re-purpose it as a hanging basket? ;)

PeteHall

I was thinking the same thing  :LOL:
Did someone post a picture like this recently?

The lights could be sold and cash donated to rescue?

Pete K

I have a shed full of old gear already, so the lid will get broken down for recycling, which is easy to do on the old CS helmets. Unless someone wants it for a basket? Note that I won't give it away without cutting the straps out due to age.

mikem

It won't hang very well if you do that! As it's not your property there's no requirement to destroy it, as long as you make it clear to whoever takes it that it's not suitable to use as a helmet.

Alex

Hmm, that looks like my mate Dan's helmet... I will send him a FB message.

Pete K

I have a moral responsibility to put it beyond use and I will if not claimed. As a professional caver and work at height trainer, there is no way I'm giving anyone a helmet with no discernible age and no known history. The owner can do as they wish if they claim it.

Cheers Alex. Found at Giant's in July last year. AE written inside.

mikem

Actually you don't, as it is somebody else's property you would be destroying. Best not to give it away & just dispose of it.

T pot 2

Instead of cutting the straps take off the buckles, drill in some holes for drainage, in other words disable it from becoming usable.
Bingo a hanging basket.

Pete K

mikem said:
Actually you don't, as it is somebody else's property you would be destroying. Best not to give it away & just dispose of it.
Actually, having taken all reasonable steps to trace the owner, and having a period of 28 days elapse, the helmet is technically mine now. I'm pretty sure it 28 days anyway. I have left it nearly a year to be sure.

I have made a fair few helmet baskets and I'm happy to give it to anyone who wants to do the same if not claimed by the end of the month. It will be beyond use as a helmet though but perfectly able to be strung up as a hanging basket.