Which camera?

Joel Corrigan

Dear photography geeks:
I'm out of touch with what's available so can anyone recommend a not-too-expensive (<?200) rugged/waterproof compact camera, please?   
Cheers. 

ZombieCake

In that price range you're looking like something like the Panasonic DMC-FT30 (around ?130), Ricoh WG-50 or 60 (around ?200, they have a more expensive WG-70 model at c. ?280), or Fuji FinePix XP140 (around ?180).  The industry standard (if there is one) seems to be the Olympus TG-6 (around ?370).  Of course there may be deals etc.  I'd have a good look at YouTube reviews to see what they're like and if any fit the bill on what you want to do with it.  Ricoh (i.e. Pentax) are pretty good and have built in macro LED lights, which is nice.  I eventually plumped for the Olympus, but the Ricoh was a close second.  Might be able to find second hand Olympus TG-4 or TG-5, both pretty good cameras.
Some also have extras built in like GPS location recording, tracking, and digital compasses.

PeteHall

I've seen a couple of TG-4's on Facebook marketplace recently at a decent price (they didn't look stolen either). If I didn't have one already that I'm very happy with, I would have snapped one up as they are a great bit of kit.

As well as being rugged (and they are very tough, refer to: https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=22973.0), the "live composite mode" allows you to light paint a photo and watch it grow in real time. Once you've added enough light in the right places, you press the button again to stop the exposure. This basically makes it possible to take some pretty decent photographs without needing to know much about photography.

I've also managed to get some fairly reasonable underwater video footage on it, by sticking it on the lamp bracket on the front of my helmet.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend it as a great all round cavers camera, if you can find one  (y)

Pete K

Another vote for the TG-4. You should be able to find a TG-4/5 under that budget. The 5 has a smaller sensor, so I never upgraded from my 4. I keep meaning to buy a spare. For an older model camera, the results are still superb IMO https://www.flickr.com/photos/peakinstruction/albums/72157614106796582
Live Composite for light painting makes taking perfectly exposed photos easy and it talks happily to the Firefly 2 flash slaves.
One down side that I am aware of is the anti glare coating on the TG-4 lens is very prone to wearing off, which mine has. Underground photos are unaffected but surface ones do sometimes have hazing. If you get one, buy a lens cap and don't wipe the lens underground too often!

ILT

The TG5 and TG4 have exactly the same size sensor. However, Olypus used a better quality sensor with lower pixel count in the TG5. A very deliberate decision to improve the low light performance of the camera.

Many photos and comments on the bulletin board will attest to the ability of either within the underground environment.

Personally I'd try and find a 5:
Better low light performance
better designed controls (not a big difference but definitely easier to use in gloved hands than the 4)
positive lock on the adapter ring/bezel (the 4 was an interference fit and comes loose with use...and randomly at other times)
Of less real use to me as I don't use them for video but:
Better video resolution
Faster frame rate for video

Advantages of the 4:
none really.... but as pixels have been mentioned...if you regularly have prints made to fit curtainsiders or closeups from 300 meters away and need to heavily crop then more megapixels (though in either case you would be using the 'wrong'* camera entirely). Perhaps find one at a lower price?

With either I'd also invest in a filter adapter and sacrificial 'sunlight' filter to protect the lens itself - this also allows easy use of a stndard lens cap.
(though bear in mind that on the 4 the apater can also work loose)

* in real terms the right camera is the one you have with you and actually use

aricooperdavis

ILT said:
With either I'd also invest in a filter adapter and sacrificial 'sunlight' filter to protect the lens itself

You can get these on eBay that are much cheaper than the ones Olympus sell  (y)

ZombieCake

I'd go for a decent filter.  Really cheap ones are prone to ghosting, flare, and reduction of sharpness due to low quality glass and coatings.  Putting my money where my mouth is I put a Hoya Fusion UV filter on my TG-6 (it's a 40.5mm thread btw).  Other good makes to check out include Kood, SRB Photographic (SRB Griturn), Tiffen, B+W.
Cokin used to make a very thin skylight / UV filter called Pure Harmonie that was nice on wide angle lenses, but it's discontinued and hard to find now.
Better to trash a filter than go for an expensive repair job.

aricooperdavis

ZombieCake said:
I'd go for a decent filter.  Really cheap ones are prone to ghosting, flare, and reduction of sharpness due to low quality glass and coatings.  Putting my money where my mouth is I put a Hoya Fusion UV filter on my TG-6 (it's a 40.5mm thread btw).  Other good makes to check out include Kood, SRB Photographic (SRB Griturn), Tiffen, B+W.

Good tips, thank you, I'll change that out. Presumably I don't need to change out the much cheaper adapter or lens cap, just the filter?

Vulcan

I have the Panasonic FT25 (the previous model from the FT30).

For a cheap tough camera (it is the only one I have had) the images it takes is pretty good. More than enough for me (I mainly take 'snaps' using my light and those of others). It simply lives on a neck lanyard inside my oversuit so it is quick to get out and use.

In big chambers it doesn't work as well but that's more to do with not using tripods/flash's etc as opposed to the camera.

It is also good above ground. Its a good camera for the cost.

Although I haven't used a TG4/5/6 they will take better photos and have other advantages (RAW images, live composite, better aperture, better low light performance etc) it is also 3 times the price for a new one.

It really depends on how good you actually need your images to be.

andrewmcleod

I have a TG4, and I brought it to Vietnam. In the huge daylit chambers, I originally started using my camera, but in the end realised I got much better pictures on my phone (with a 1 second exposure, holding it still), which was fairly disappointing :p

That said, people do get good pictures on a TG4.