Patio shaft capping and exploration: Carbis Bay Crew

mrodoc

Well worth viewing. Very old mine and surprising amount of passage. The CBC are a very friendly bunch. They introduced me to Wheal Lunar a few years ago.  I shot this - no music. https://youtu.be/7s6RfqVhHV4

royfellows

And there is a sequel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fy05AF8BIM

I wonder about who owns the bungalow, I mean Cornwall, is there a "kitchen shaft" somewhere and I wonder what you belay to, the fridge, the sink wast pipes?
I am happy to stay in Great Wyrley.

tomferry

Knowing my luck I would belay to the fridge and door would open giving me a nice setting of  :LOL: I am lucky as have Chris to teach me all the srt as I am brand new to it and he is very patient  (y)

AR

royfellows said:

Erm, aren't you in the middle of a coalfield there Roy? Plenty of opportunity for surprise hole appearances...

royfellows

AR said:
royfellows said:

Erm, aren't you in the middle of a coalfield there Roy? Plenty of opportunity for surprise hole appearances...

Nothing on the 1883 OS map for my ground, for earlier I would have to locate tyth maps. But Norton Cannock is about 250 metres north of me, now a chalet park. Its workings pass under Long Lane north of me to connect with the old Cannock Lodge pit to the south, at a depth of about 140 yards. The latter is now empty fields.
Most of the sites where dozed into the shafts after abandonment, a deadly practice in metal mines but barring a bit of settlement its rare for any of the coal shafts to reopen around here. Possibly two or three in the last 30 years.
There was the upending Ford on the car park at Rushall
Of course, the Coal Authority are responsible for coal shafts, so we are basically well covered around here.

Cantclimbtom

Down and beyond said:
... I am lucky as have Chris to teach me all the srt as I am brand new to it and he is very patient  (y)
I'm always baffled when I hear SRT discussed in terms as anything significant. Just have confidence to see it as actually very straightforward stuff. If a complete numpty like me can do it then you will certainly have no problems. When roped access was young it was basically caving srt (with an added shunt rope) we were referred to "dopes on a rope", it's not tricky. Just have confidence and be very methodical. Good luck learning  (y)

tomferry

Cantclimbtom said:
Down and beyond said:
... I am lucky as have Chris to teach me all the srt as I am brand new to it and he is very patient  (y)
I'm always baffled when I hear SRT discussed in terms as anything significant. Just have confidence to see it as actually very straightforward stuff. If a complete numpty like me can do it then you will certainly have no problems. When roped access was young it was basically caving srt (with an added shunt rope) we were referred to "dopes on a rope", it's not tricky. Just have confidence and be very methodical. Good luck learning  (y)

Thanks mate i am sure it will all be fine , I no some parts of it all straight forward guess it depends on what level you wish to reach . We had some nice plans set up on places to visit but then as always lockdown kicked it in the teeth but it won?t last much longer ! I got a great list of places to visit this  year Cannot wait  !

mrodoc

royfellows said:
And there is a sequel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fy05AF8BIM

I wonder about who owns the bungalow, I mean Cornwall, is there a "kitchen shaft" somewhere and I wonder what you belay to, the fridge, the sink wast pipes?
Of course there is at least one cave ie Robinson's Pot where you get a nice view of the kitchen floor from underneath as you descend - and it was mined!

royfellows

I have stuck this into this thread as it involves the CBC in action again. Worth a read.
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/gallery/history-100-year-old-cart-5001747