What are your top 3?

Cantclimbtom

I'm sure you guys are suffering cabin fever like me and dreaming of getting out doing things. Seen speculation in news in particular Wales about restarting tourism possibly after Easter but if that can happen and if travel into Wales is permitted no idea. That said... I'm not trying to start some Corona-Moaner thread about wrongs of the situation, or speculate when lockdown will end. It's all cost some people bitterly hard,  so I'm respectfully leaving further virus discussion outside this thread.

So.. my current daydreams based on no particular logic are to:

1) Go back to Rhosydd and have a nice walk about explore. Not rushing past on CRTT tick-it-off mentality, but having a nice walk about and try to find new bits, maybe more than a walk ;) who knows?

2) Maybe make a particular through trip. There are access frictions and a concern over heavy metals so I'm not sure if I should do it? Undecided. If I do it, it'll be treading softly (metaphorically and literally) and I'm deliberately not naming it here.

3) Croesor shaft, Model Fferna, or.. Parc (the last one is a big list in itself, not sure if it fits in this list?)

So, what are the top 3 trips to do - whenever - floating about in your heads?

mikem

Although this is the mining forum!

We've still got more to find in pearl mine & stock hill mine cave on Mendip...

tomferry

I have got caving in speedwell peak cavern with Chris hoping to find a guide for us either way this is in top 3

Catherine and Jane copper mine cannot wait to get in that dirty drainage level !

And number 3 I am not sharing but a possible through trip we are going to try !! Which hopefully will be a first but wait and see  (y)

PeteHall

I've got a few unfinished projects in the Weardale and Nenthead, since moving back south 10 years ago. One day I'll get back up for the week and have a proper session!

One is an open lead in a thoroughly unpleasant mine that I dug into years ago. The entrance isn't at all obvious, and it's flat out in water and mud for a long way, so I'd be surprised if anyone else has found it, or pushed it in the meantime.

One is down a ventilation shaft that I opened up. At the time,  the air got very stale, so I had to leave a wide open stope descending into the depths. I'd always planned to give it a year to freshen up, but never got back. It needs bolting, but the rock is decent, so should be ok. I've not heard of anyone getting back in since, though I am slightly out of touch these days.

The 3rd is a flooded level in the back of Nent. The passage before it is collapsed, but we found a route through the flats and back to a rather dodgy shaft back down some distancefurtheralong. The water was only a foot above the arching at this point, so should be a short dive back to an air surface.

One day...

AR

There are several corners of a particular Derbyshire mine that doesn't get discussed publicly that I'd like to revisit, likewise I want to see the new parts of Intake Dale Mine, now the engine shaft's got a good lid on it. I've also wanted to get some decent scaled photos of the coffin level in Son of Longcliffe for ages, specifically the "step-down" - I'm sure pwhole would be up for that one next summer!

Goydenman

1. Get back to Goyden system digs.....starting with linking Pigskin pot into the system; creating new round trip in Goyden and looking what changes the flooding has made
2. Get on with re-surveying the system and supporting the work of diving projects
3. Take a few frie3nds to the Pak/Speedwell system

ChrisJC

It just needs a little work with a spade on the outside.

I have exited via that route before, and it was only neck deep then.

Chris.

Brains

Places I want to (re) visit include...

Parys / Mona through trip and explore
Coniston through trip and explore
Nent grand traverse and much else there

others would be Great Orme, Hugilth, Snailbeach, Speedwell (Peak), Cae Coch, Millwr Tunnel, Pandora, Parc, Knotlow, Oxlow, Maskhill... Ok all of them really. Focused on mines here but the caving list is huge as well :D

pwhole

Lots and lots of surveying to do in one site, but sadly can't say where, but Derbyshire. Lots of digging to do in Longcliffe in Castleton, in two directions now, but both need several people in a very small space, so it's difficult at present - well, impossible. Definitely up for a return trip to Son of Longcliffe too, hopefully earlier than summer! I don't know if you ever saw this one, but me and Domee went in there in August 2018 to find the muddy wet crawls as dry as I've ever seen them. We found teeny footprints in the mud! There's also a nice shot of the coffin-level. For those unaware, this was backfilled to the roof, and we excavated about 50-70cm of airspace through the whole length of 14m to the nastiest T-junction I've ever seen. Suffice to say that way on hasn't been pushed yet...

Attachments

• IMG_3660_sm.jpg
    IMG_3660_sm.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3662_sm.jpg
    IMG_3662_sm.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 161

Cantclimbtom

Pitlamp said:
GG winch meet
GG winch meet
GG winch meet

We've all missed these so badly!
"...The next BPC Gaping Gill winch meet is from Saturday 29th May to Friday 4th June 2021..."

Fingers crossed!

cavemanmike

Brains said:
Places I want to (re) visit include...

Parys / Mona through trip and explore
Coniston through trip and explore

others would be Great Orme, Hugilth, Snailbeach, Speedwell (Peak), Cae Coch, Millwr Tunnel, Pandora, Parc, Knotlow, Oxlow, Maskhill... Ok all of them really. Focused on mines here but the caving list is huge as well :D

Give me a nudge when you are ready for a trip into milwr tunnel and I'll sort it out for you  (y)

ChrisJC

Brains said:

CATMHS is organising a Great Nenthead Traverse trip. It has been postponed once because of the pandemic.

Chris.

2xw

I didn't know Snailbeach had accessible workings, cool  Did some sampling near one of the capped/run in shafts at the top of Crowsnest Dingle last year. (Also have to note the names of landmarks around there are weird... But I appreciated the bog being called "The Bog")

JoshW

got a filming project planned for swildons, other than that I'd take pretty much anything underground at the moment  :cautious:

skimble

2xw said:
I didn't know Snailbeach had accessible workings, cool

You can get a long way underground at Snailbeach before you hit water. Hopefully the COVID-19 situation will have eased sufficiently by the summer for SCMC to run underground trips at this year's NAMHO conference.

PeteHall

ChrisJC said:
Brains said:

CATMHS is organising a Great Nenthead Traverse trip. It has been postponed once because of the pandemic.

Chris.

Is it still open all the way around? My last visit to Capplecleugh was to reopen a collapse discovered the trip before and there are plenty of other places that aren't held up by much more than a little inertia...

I'm overdue another trip. I've not been the whole way around since the day after we opened Haggs, which is over 10 years ago now...