Blummin facebook....

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, OK so I have a facebook account and yes it's good for keeping in touch with friends and family abroad, and yes there's a UKC facebook page -  solely there to encourage folks to the forum itself, however fb's changing for the worse IMO.

Recently I've tried to turn off notifications for certain groups - am ignored, notifications keep on coming (and yes I'm doing it properly).

I see more and more 'suggested for you' posts and adverts etc, fewer posts from 'friends' - now maybe folks are posting less because there's just less to say during lockdown, even so it's not so interesting...

When I used to post on the UKC FB page a couple of years ago, the post would reach many 100's of people who had 'liked' the page, often in the 1000's - these days it's barely 10-20% of those who have liked the page.  Obviously FB would like UKC to PAY for our post to be shared. I'd rather put any money back into caving, not further line the pockets of the billionaire owners.

...and finally, it's with dismay I see some caving organisations posting their news on facebook but not the forum - some even have boards on UKC which are free to use but rarely do  :(

(Note if your organisation would like a board and will make use of it, please contact us and we'll get it sorted)

The forum is really busy these days, 100's of cavers visit every day and lots of posts are made and read (thank you to you all  :hug: ), so here's a request to those organisations - please consider using UKC to engage and communicate with fellow cavers - UKC is the Cavers' forum, run by cavers for cavers.  If you only post on FB, you will likely reach 10-20% of the cavers who have liked your page (judging by what UKC experience on there) and you will be supporting a social media platform that has it's issues - anti vaccination false news is being spread on there and Australia are having their problems to name just a couple.

UKC - run by cavers, for cavers (and miners  ;)) on a not for profit basis.

Cheers, Pegasus  ;)

Alex

Yeh, I normally use it to jsut share my caving photos and videos around and argue about Brexit, but I do all that here lol.

sinker

royfellows said:
I think its time for people to give facebook a miss, I wont do it, full stop.

Agree, 100%. Stay away from it; its a vile cess pit that will rot your soul.

royfellows

sinker said:
royfellows said:

Yes Phil, you dont have to go on facebook to get insulted, you can get that here
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

mikem

Forums generally are being used less & less, yahoo have recently shut down their groups, but then the younger generation have no interest of being on Facebook (with their parents) - recent additions are even more ephemeral.

tomferry

See I am the odd person I should of been working down a mine I am only 28 and hate all unsociable media and genuinely love history more than tv phones and technology etc , after leaving school all my friends are much older and I choose to keep it this way because not many young people am have the same interests I do  unless it?s making videos and showing places off ?

Pitlamp

sinker said:
royfellows said:

I seem to have found myself agreeing with you a lot today Sinker!
Glad it's not just me who thinks Facebook is quite sinister. It has lots of potential but it's also rather Orwellian.

Bottom line is, if folk only post caving news on Facebook, a great many cavers will not be reached. A great deal of knowledge and experience will not be tapped into. This forum is excellent - and accessible to all. I'm pleased that Pegasus has raised this issue.

mrodoc

Perhaps it is my age but everybody gets too worked about these things. They are free for God's Sake (you can argue that they are stealing your data but basically you don't pay for it). It's the same as the forum i.e. a lot of rubbish gets posted but it can be a useful communication tool.  I use it and it's fun. If it went something would replace it. Get over it. I still have stamps and envelopes and a land line if everything else went ;)!

Pitlamp

mrodoc said:
Perhaps it is my age but everybody gets too worked about these things. They are free for God's Sake (you can argue that they are stealing your data but basically you don't pay for it). It's the same as the forum i.e. a lot of rubbish gets posted but it can be a useful communication tool.  I use it and it's fun. If it went something would replace it. Get over it. I still have stamps and envelopes and a land line if everything else went ;)!

I think you may have missed the point mrodoc.

Many people have varied but legitimate reasons for steering clear of the likes of Facebook. If people try to communicate with the caving community at large via a system that many don't use, it's arguably worse than useless.

Pitlamp

. . . and, separately, here's an example of why many people find Facebook sinister:

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/facebook-news-goes-dark-australia-003643434-111744312.html

Hell, I wish we had more caving to talk about!

mikem

& they don't all look at this forum, you have to be conversant with multiple media nowadays.

PeteHall

One thing that Facebook does that the forum doesn't is private members groups, which can be easily created and self-administered. The creator is at liberty to appoint administrators and admit or remove members at their leisure, as well as choose their preferred privacy settings.

These are genuinely useful things for some purposes and not so easy on here.

I do find it bizarre though that an organisation like the CSCC for example refuses to publish news or notices on here under their own name. Surely such an organisation should embrace all available options to get its messages out...

mrodoc

I think you made my point for me John in there are too many ways to communicate nowadays. We had a trip to Thailand and we were split between two sites for accommodation about a kilometer apart. It took me most of the trip to realize that communications were being conducted via Facebook rather than text or email: nobody bothered to tell us. I have found messages to me on Facebook sent months before by people who have my email. It's like sending pigeons when we have a postal service.

darren

If you find Facebook is a vile place full of hideous people you are telling us more about yourself and your friends than is really necessary.

Most people I know only interact with friends and groups they've elected to join. I always thought this was the default option.

All my friends and members of the group's I'm in are smashing chaps (even the ladies) and I therefore have a lovely time.

I find some of the people on this forum to be far more bullying, opinionated and rude than anyone I chose to interact with on Facebook.

Then again I'm quite a delicate flower.

Just saying, I know I don't have to visit this forum or Facebook.

pwhole

Forums can have private groups too, it's just more that most choose not to implement them. We all know what goes on in VIP lounges  :halo:

Pitlamp

mrodoc said:
I think you made my point for me John in there are too many ways to communicate nowadays. We had a trip to Thailand and we were split between two sites for accommodation about a kilometer apart. It took me most of the trip to realize that communications were being conducted via Facebook rather than text or email: nobody bothered to tell us. I have found messages to me on Facebook sent months before by people who have my email. It's like sending pigeons when we have a postal service.

Fully agree. Paradoxically, the more channels spring up (which ought to make communication easier) the less reliably we're able to communicate with each other because it becomes harder and harder to ensure you're on top of them all. Anyway, life's too short to spend so much of it pressing buttons.

What's needed is a single internet source, accessible to all.

We're reading it, right now. I bet Pegasus would agree . . .

Pitlamp

pwhole said:
Forums can have private groups too, it's just more that most choose not to implement them. We all know what goes on in VIP lounges  :halo:

Er, do we?    :confused: