Torygraph paywall down today 23/03/2021...........

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Shudder, my parents read the Torygraph - so yes I've read it when at their house, shocking 'news'paper  :eek:

Mrs Trellis

No problem in reading it for free - ditto the other broadsheets. I find tribalism in this country a besetting sin in all walks of life. Apologies to journos who should be paid for their work.

sinker

Pegasus said:
Shudder, my parents read the Torygraph - so yes I've read it when at their house, shocking 'news'paper  :eek:

?.and don't get me started on the Daily Mail... o_O

2xw

There's a few paywall-remover web browser extensions on github. They'll unpaywall the Economist, Telegraph, New Statesmen, the Spectator etc, if you're comfortable with that and reasonably au fait with installing extensions to firefox or chrome in developer mode.

mikem

Almost all journalism is biased according to the leanings of the reporter / audience it's aimed at - the important thing is to realise that.

pwhole

I understand all that, and would happily read The Times, and much other media too - it's just that I consider the Telegraph to be just too far 'over there' to be worth bothering with - I hear plenty from their biggest fans already, and as ultra-Conservatism seems to be a busted flush now (the last year is more than enough evidence), I look forward to its eventual collapse. From what I hear the Barclay family feud isn't going to help much:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52699018

Fjell

If you don?t pay for professional journalism it will cease to happen eventually. I?ve paid for The Economist for over 30 years, but rarely do so for others.

There are a number of European papers you can read online, most of which of superior to papers like the Guardian and Telegraph which are both very tabloidly and have gone a bit bonkers in their own way in recent years. European papers lose the plot sometimes and all are nationally biased, but it is at least useful to see what other people are reading.

If you want a paper with a highly evolved sense of it?s own importance I can recommend the New York Times. It?s more like what the Times was like many decades ago.

For political daily gossip around Europe, this is free with adverts:

https://www.politico.eu/