Under The Water at Diffwys Slate Mine

Paul Marvin

Thought some of you may be interested whats under the water in here guys . The visibility in here is astonishing !!

Paul

https://youtu.be/PKJVqg5Qz5E

Paul Marvin

I know mate we went about 11 years ago, the only problem was it was being led round like a puppy, they dont cater for " go it alone divers " thats what spoilt it a bit for us .  :thumbsdown:

mrodoc

You could have done what others have done which is hire the gear locally and DIY'ed. Personally having been guided frequently I don't really mind if it is the only way of getting a dive and having bonded with the dive leader who was born the year I started diving she took me on a second dive, just the two of us as everybody else baled out because they were feeling cold. It was cold as I came back a few days later for cold water therapy to a very painful ankle (and it worked). I was fortunate with the photography with a combination of high summer, blazing sun and it being midday gave phenomenal visibility.

By the way if you want to sea dive unguided Bonaire is the best bet and they seem very laid back in Australia and New Zealand as well.

Paul Marvin

mrodoc said:
You could have done what others have done which is hire the gear locally and DIY'ed. Personally having been guided frequently I don't really mind if it is the only way of getting a dive and having bonded with the dive leader who was born the year I started diving she took me on a second dive, just the two of us as everybody else baled out because they were feeling cold. It was cold as I came back a few days later for cold water therapy to a very painful ankle (and it worked). I was fortunate with the photography with a combination of high summer, blazing sun and it being midday gave phenomenal visibility.

By the way if you want to sea dive unguided Bonaire is the best bet and they seem very laid back in Australia and New Zealand as well.

Yes been to Bonaire we also like malta and gozo, we can go of piste so to speak and have great days. We go diving where nobody goes, BUT the best thing is we get all our air and mixed gasses FOC, we have a deal with the dive centre , they use our videos to promote the centre  :clap: :D ;)

mrodoc

Never dived in Malta or Gozo. One of the clubs I was in had a member who moved there years ago but he has sadly died. I have always found the lack of marine life in the Med a bit disappointing - although Northern Cyprus seemed to be an exception.

Paul Marvin

mrodoc said:
Never dived in Malta or Gozo. One of the clubs I was in had a member who moved there years ago but he has sadly died. I have always found the lack of marine life in the Med a bit disappointing - although Northern Cyprus seemed to be an exception.

In recent years the marine life has got better and better , the wreck diving there ( not the tourist wrecks ) is exceptional and steep in history but a lot are deep and need trimix and sturdy decompression dives . The Wreck Le Polynesian is one of the best in the world , it was Frances equivalent to the Titanic . We are not going this year for obvious reasons we will be back there next year. Look at some of our other vids on our YT channel you will be surprised  ;)

Should?ve done my MOD2 over there last year, was very much looking forward to doing some of the more serious wrecks. Obviously Covid got in the way and now I?ve got a big PFO so have postponed it for the foreseeable future.

Took my daughter back in 2018 though and she absolutely loved it.

Paul Marvin

Tribal Chestnut said:
Should?ve done my MOD2 over there last year, was very much looking forward to doing some of the more serious wrecks. Obviously Covid got in the way and now I?ve got a big PFO so have postponed it for the foreseeable future.

Took my daughter back in 2018 though and she absolutely loved it.

I presume you are talking about Malta and not Diffwys Slate Mine  :LOL: ;)