Making Silver From Ore Found In An Abandoned Mine,

lumenchild

I thought it was amazing the way he used techniques from a book from an assay office in the 1800s,

Does anyone know of any books like the one he has or older?
please comment below  ;)

Fishes

Similar fire assay techniques have been used for hundreds of years and are still used today. Thankfully they are normally associated with decent fume extraction treatment systems so you aren't breathing in lots of nasty lead fumes.

I've made fire assay crucibles and cupels in the past but I don't think any are still made in the UK.

De re metallica is great reading if you are interested in such things.

lumenchild

Tomferry said:
What type of mineral are you interested in ? Or just a general book about multiple?
just In general about the old ore refining processes, per each ore (If known) metals and minerals  ;)

moorebooks

There are several Books on my website

https://www.moorebooks.co.uk/methods/

https://www.moorebooks.co.uk/-USED-Handbook-of-Mineral-Dressing-Ores-and-Industrial-Minerals.html

Mike

AR

There's John Percy's four-volume "A Treatise on Metallurgy", published between 1860 and 1880 - probably a scan of it online somewhere given its age, though I believe the Historical Metallurgy Society did a reprint edition at one point?

ChrisJC

That bloke in the YouTube video looks like a cartoon character who's come to life.

Chris.

mch

AR said:
There's John Percy's four-volume "A Treatise on Metallurgy", published between 1860 and 1880 - probably a scan of it online somewhere given its age, though I believe the Historical Metallurgy Society did a reprint edition at one point?
There is a reprint of Percy's "The Metallurgy of Lead, Including Desilverization and Cupellation" published 1870, but not by HMS. Don't know if it's still available as it's some years since I bought it.

moorebooks

mch said:
AR said:
There is a reprint of Percy's "The Metallurgy of Lead, Including Desilverization and Cupellation" published 1870, but not by HMS. Don't know if it's still available as it's some years since I bought it.

Copies are available around ?80.00

Mike