Things to do in the Dales with kids and dogs

Katie

Hi all,
We are in the dales for 3/4 days next week with our three kids (ages 7, 5 and 4) and our 3 dogs (aged 12, 2 and 2) and looking for good days out off the beaten track.
We live in the Peak district and I am assuming the Dales is currently like the Peak - heaving with people in the well known spots but still fairly quiet if you know where to go....
However I know where to go for an adventure with the kids in the Peak but not in the Dales!
So any suggestions for good places to visit that won't be too busy?
Particularly river walks with good paddle/ swimming spots, walks with little caves/ entrances to explore, etc

Pre- kids we caved in the Dales quite a bit but haven't visited much since.
I think they will love running in and out of the Hoffman kiln near Settle so we will probably visit that but after more ideas please!
Also pubs with good food that kid/ dog friendly!
Thanks

Fjell

Getting hold of some version of Wainwrights ?Walks in Limestone Country? will fill a holiday with interesting walks that kids can do in the central area. He had a interest in collecting cave entrances, so that features. Ribblehead has the most accessible caves for young children.

A jaunt east to Littondale and Langstrothdale is always worth it  Langstroth Cave is OK for kids with through trip and visit to menacing upstream sump. The river is one of the finest spots in England for a picnic and playing in the water. Carry on to Hawes for tea, where upstairs to the Wensleydale Pantry for fare that would keep an army on the road.

For more swimming, then upstream on the Lune from Killington Bridge gets you into a rock gorge with lots of pools. There is an offical geology walk (ye Olde Dent Fault) east of Sedbergh in Garsdale (below the big layby). Also lots of swimming in rock and a little cave.

Speleofish

It's a bit of a trek, but Ashgill Force near Alston is a good way to amuse small adventurous children. If you approach from the top, the path scrambles through a little cave (which doesn't feature in Northern Caves) which offers a bit of fun and you can scramble behind the waterfall itself. The valley downstream is quite pretty too.

Fulk

Barbondale's a lovely spot, although a bit 'bleak' by comparison with some of the dales. There's a big stream with lots of pools (some probably deep enough for kids to swim in) and, as it is less well known than some of the other dales, it tends to be a bit quieter.

Paul Marvin

Speleofish said:
It's a bit of a trek, but Ashgill Force near Alston is a good way to amuse small adventurous children. If you approach from the top, the path scrambles through a little cave (which doesn't feature in Northern Caves) which offers a bit of fun and you can scramble behind the waterfall itself. The valley downstream is quite pretty too.

Now that IS a good suggestion !    (y)

Alan Sp8

Kid and dog friendly pub try the Helwith Bridge - you may have to book for an evening meal but they serve meals at all times of the day
Walk up the river from Helwith to Horton and back along the river or drop down to Stainforth Foss - Park above Langcliffe and you have Jubilee Caves Albert Cave Wet Cave Victoria cave and Attermire cave if things are going well.
Then again you could walk from Stainforth or Austwick to Feizor a very good cafe at Feizor along with the Cafe at Knights Stainforth and most of this is a stones throw from the Hoffman Kiln at Langcliffe no need to travel miles extra

Mark

Just google

"hidden gem, ideal for kids, that's only an hour from Leeds"

you will get lots of ideas from all the surrounding newspaper websites, thats what's ruined all the hidden gem's in the Peak District.

I have seen families crossing the road to Waterfall Swallet, with lilo's and dingies, on the advice of the Sheffield Star, even though there is hardly any water and chest high nettles to get there.

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Runscar and Thistle caves at Ribblehead

2 ?Friendly? short linear caves with  multiple entrances.
(Some sections a bit more challenging than others )

Speleofish

And, there's always Borrins Moor Cave. Somewhere that kept me and my very small sister happy for hours. And Upper Long Churn. We also liked Wilsons Cave because it had a very dead sheep in the entrance. This kept us occupied for a very long time, during which we completed its dismemberment.

We drove home to Northumberland in a rainstorm with all windows open. My mother was reluctant to go caving ever again..

Katie

Thanks for all the suggestions! Sounds like we need to stay longer than 3 nights!
I will have a look into some of the suggestions!

Paul Marvin said:
Phew 3 kids and 3 dogs to keep happy now thats a challenge in itself .  :cry: :LOL:

To be honest they are mostly pretty easy to entertain. A puddle and a stick is all they need. It is the adults who like a bit more!

Paul Marvin

Mark said:
Just google

"hidden gem, ideal for kids, that's only an hour from Leeds"

you will get lots of ideas from all the surrounding newspaper websites, thats what's ruined all the hidden gem's in the Peak District.

I have seen families crossing the road to Waterfall Swallet, with lilo's and dingies, on the advice of the Sheffield Star, even though there is hardly any water and chest high nettles to get there.

Even the tiniest bit of water and the lilos are out  :LOL:

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Basically avoid the Waterfalls walk, Ribblehead and Malham and you should be ok. 

There is that swimming spot just up from Cowan Bridge.  Park by the houses at the end of Low lane and walk up (about a Km or so.

Also try Snaizeholme red squirrel trail - best to google for directions but between Ribblehead and Hawes.  Might want to leave the dogs behind for that one.

Happy holidays

Pitlamp

If you like red squirrels you might try Kinsey Water Park, where I think children can "adopt" them. You can also see one of the more enigmatic resurgences in the Dales (Sike Gill Rising) which is on the short trail you can do there.

Malham has been seriously manic over the school holiday period; there's maybe something to be said for saving that for a different time of year. Ribblehead has also been very busy but there is potential kid's caving there (e.g. the Runscar system, depending on ages). Exploring Thorns Gill is a fine little adventure for young 'uns, with appropriate adult supervision.

AR

I used to like Hebden Gill and Grassington Moor as a good place to get far from the sodding crowds when I lived up that way, but given that there are likely to be sheep around and some of the mineshafts aren't well capped to say the least, maybe not the best place to have young kids and dogs!