Snottites in the Dales?

Pitlamp

Has anyone ever come across true snottites (gelatinous stalactites produced by extremophile bacteria) in the Dales?

Would one actually expect them to exist in caves in the classic Ingleton caving area of the Dales?

AR

Snottites need sulphur AFAIK; I've only ever seen them in soughs driven through shale here in the Peak. So, unless there's something feeding sulphite ions into the groundwater I wouldn't expect to see them.

Pitlamp

Thanks AR; understood - and you confirmed my thoughts. Apparently snottites are quite acidic; that's why I was wondering whether they'd be expected at all in the caves around Ingleton. Guess a simple test with pH paper might confirm or otherwise.

Has anyone ever come across these in Dales caves?

Brains

Again not caves but in the mines at Nenthead, sulphide minerals in alternating limestone and shale. Seen growing on roof arching but unclear if limestone or sandstone blocks (many of the arched levels were lined with specially quarried flags, but not all...
I would be surprised to hear of them in the Three Peaks area in natural caves (but not elsewhere in the world)

Not sure I could formally identify a snottite if I saw one but I?ve definitely seen ?rubbery? formations (stal and curtains) in Dentdale in the low beddings in Mill Beck Cave. We assumed these were slurry seepage from the fields above rather than classic mineral based formations. Deeply unpleasant!

Hammy

Burtersett Sandstone Slate Mine near Hawes

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MTdzcxFJR26o5vFD9

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/Mines/Burtersett-Sandstone-Mine_2983/

Pitlamp

Thanks - I think the last time I was in the Burtersett Mines was before snottites were identified / named!

What I do remember though was small almost transparent (water soluble) crystals with a greenish tinge emerging from the shales in there. I remember at the time deciding they were likely to be iron sulphate. If that's right - and there's sulphur minerals knocking about, that'd be compatible with snottite formation.

mikeapp93

Pitlamp said:
Thanks - I think the last time I was in the Burtersett Mines was before snottites were identified / named!

What I do remember though was small almost transparent (water soluble) crystals with a greenish tinge emerging from the shales in there. I remember at the time deciding they were likely to be iron sulphate. If that's right - and there's sulphur minerals knocking about, that'd be compatible with snottite formation.

John - I did a video last time I was in those mines and I swear snotties were there for sure. It's on my site somewhere, will drop you an e-mither about it.