Maenofferen Dressing Sheds . Just look at The Timber Trusses !

Paul Marvin

Here are couple of snaps guys not only are the buildings very impressive but just look at the trusses  :eek: you can't get timber section like this  nowadays . Being a Joiner by trade I measured them and they were 16 x 8 inches and 16 meters long if you dont know that is VERY impressive . Also having a good nose for timber I would say by the smell its Columbian Pine, one of the best softwoods there is  .

BTW nobody saw me except my wife sniffing the timber  :LOL:

davel

Even more impressive when you consider the logistics of getting those timbers from the port to the mill site!

There are similarly large timbers in the bridges underground in Cwmorthin and Rhosydd quarries. Again you have to wonder how they got them there.

Dave

legendrider

Paul Marvin said:
  :eek: you can't get timber section like this  nowadays . they were 16 x 8 inches and 16 meters long

I struggle to get hold of 4x2" at the moment! 

16x8"???  Yer 'avin a larf, Mate!  o_O

MARK

tomferry

I agree Paul they are very impressive on are most recent trip their we was also talking about these , at first you suspect a strapped joint but no they are one straight  length they must have purchased the hole tree  !!  (y)

royfellows

I do well at National Timber, should be a branch near anybody. Heavy treated fence posts etc at right price

Paul Marvin

legendrider said:
Paul Marvin said:
  :eek: you can't get timber section like this  nowadays . they were 16 x 8 inches and 16 meters long

I struggle to get hold of 4x2" at the moment! 

16x8"???  Yer 'avin a larf, Mate!  o_O

MARK

I'm not mate my tape doesn't lie , cant understand though why the images wont upload ? and the file isn't to big

Paul Marvin

davel said:
Even more impressive when you consider the logistics of getting those timbers from the port to the mill site!

There are similarly large timbers in the bridges underground in Cwmorthin and Rhosydd quarries. Again you have to wonder how they got them there.

Dave

I have seen the ones you mention Dave and believe it or not I have measured those all are 14 x 8 length I dont know though , but agreed what a feat spanning those spaces    :cry:

AR

Sounds like they were using pump spears for roofing, those are generally pitch pine of that sort of size.

Paul Marvin

AR said:
Sounds like they were using pump spears for roofing, those are generally pitch pine of that sort of size.

They are not pitch pine that has a VERY distinct smell , that being said that is the pick of softwoods it lasts forever .

Paul Marvin

here we go the images that wouldn't load

I hope  ::)

Attachments

• Temp Stills (2).jpg
    Temp Stills (2).jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Temp Stills (1).jpg
    Temp Stills (1).jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 112