Wretched Rabbit TR

adamski555

To days trip had been on the cards for a while .It was a plan with 4 parts to it.
1st To do Spiral Staircase Passage
2ND To visit Easter Grotto
3rd To find the route from Holdeck Junction to Stop Pot
4Th To find the flood escape route from stop pot via 4 ways chamber.
I have been down Wretched rabbit a few times before.The last time i tried to find Easter Grotto i went in via Pool Sink ,we got to Assembly Hall but could not find the way from there.This time we had copy of the survey and the text to help us.

O arrival at bull Pot farm there were loads of cars  parked up, but they all seemed to working on the hut.The three of us got changed and walked over the fell.It was much easier than normal as the ground was frozen solid.On arrival at WR entrance we set off with the 4 point plan.The Big Rift was fun slidding down the ropes ,with the in-sit ropes this would be an epic on the return with out them.After the last drop we found the hole in to the start of Spiral staircase.
This is an excellant bit of passage at the junction we took the left hand route with misses out the 6m climb.On came another climb down with in sit rope .Soon i was on familiar ground from my Pool Sink trip.After a short distance we arrived at Holbeck Junction.A fast pace was set up Thackeray's Passage and Whiteway to Assembly Hall .On arrival here we checked the survey and text and found a climb going up with a rope on it .The 3 of us were soon up it with the use of another rope we had brought with us.Another climb up via a chimney and we were at the start of Easter Grotto which i was very impressed with .It has some great straws and other formations.We retreated back down the 2 climbs to Assembly Hall.Here we had chocolate and coffee.We marched back down the  passage to holbeck junction.From here we made the mistake of trying to follow the water,which was wet tight and awkward.We came back to holbeck Junction and found a higher level.Soon we came out in to a large chamber with a boulder slope going up .At the top of this was the Stop Pot ladder.Back down the slope we found the route to 4 ways chamber which involved some good caving.We dropped down into a passage  WR and followed it for awhile round lots of bends and up a couple of climbs.At this point i could smell fresh air as we passed the start of Spiral staircase passage .All that remained were the climbs the fatter rope is very usefull for upward progress.Back on the surface we had more coffee and chocolate.A great trip.

PS there is no signing board at Bull Pot farm at the moment.

dunc

O arrival at bull Pot farm there were loads of cars  parked up, but they all seemed to working on the hut
Yes it was quite busy there today, there were still a few people out caving though (that I know of); two groups in Lancaster of which I was in one, you in Wretched and a lot of people at Bull Pot otw.

walked over the fell. It was much easier than normal as the ground was frozen solid
Bliss wasn't it!

barrabus

dunc said:
two groups in Lancaster of which I was in one, you in Wretched and a lot of people at Bull Pot otw.

I think my friend and I must have passed you on the fell as we walked to Lancaster. There were no ropes down the pitch.

I can confirm that we are now out too!

dunc

I think my friend and I must have passed you on the fell as we walked to Lancaster. There were no ropes down the pitch.
The other group that I knew of were just behind us on the way out, with their Scurion and Petzl Ultra I felt rather dim 8)
I recall passing you - and as you were walking past I did think to myself 'wondering where they're heading at this late stage in the day!'

Rachel

dunc said:
and a lot of people at Bull Pot otw.

Where there was an amazing set of icicles below the (very sparse) waterfall in the open pit, some over a foot long, about 50 in total. I wish I'd taken a camera because I just can't do it justice in words.