Georgia caving

Alex

I am going for trip in Georgia in August. Now of course the deepest cave in the world is in that country but I am not going for an exclusive caving holiday, I intend to take in the sights and enjoy the countryside too. So to cut down weight I would rather not lug my full SRT kit with me so I am looking for more horizontal trips.

I plan to visit the north east region around Mazeri, for most of my visit but I have not yet decided on where else I may go. Things are very much in the planning stage.

Any recommendations, any local caving clubs I should contact?

Benfool

Hey Alex

If you're planning on heading to Abkhazia where Krubera is, unless anything has changed in the last couple of years, its almost impossible to enter via Georgia (pretty sure Nick Vieira failed about a year ago). Apparently the best way to enter is to fly to Sochi and enter via Russia.

Cavex are probably the people to get in touch with - ADS would probably be able to give you contacts.

B

Alex

Thanks for the reply

No not trying to cross the border, to that region. Was looking to visit the region near Mazeri. Not even sure there are caves there, that's what I am trying to find out. I may make an excursion further away if there are some interesting caves to visit with in Georgia itself.

seddon

Sadly I don't know any Georgians, will rack my brains for folks who might. Robbie Shone is a man of many contacts, these days.

Alex

*bump* any ideas anyone please? Google searching for Georgia caving clubs just gives me American ones, and tourist caves in Georgia

I have a geological map of the mountainous region from the Black to Caspian Seas which I printed off when I was at the RGS. I can send you a copy if you are interested.Please PM me

Alex

Thanks that may help, someone else has also sent me a PM with contact details.