Wanted: used SRT kit

Brian Hedden

Thread title says it all - I'm a new caver looking for an inexpensive SRT kit.  Anyone have one to get rid of? 

Thanks!

Pete K

Hi Brian, can't help you with the kit but just wanted to say, and you may already be aware of this, please consider buying all new 'soft' components as a minimum. A new set of rope cowstails, footloop and a harness is worth the cost. You simply cannot tell the strength and history of soft components. The same can be said of the metal stuff too but they are a little more forgiving and have easier to spot faults and wear.
Not worth the risk IMO.

paull

i totally agree with Pete, most clubs will lend you kit until you can get your own 

topcat

Some fair points made re second hand stuff, but......where does that leave club kit?  I mean, most of us will hang off club ropes and maillons/krabs, or use club SRT stuff and that is, in effect, second hand.  Indeed, it might well be more 'second-hand' than someone's personal kit.

When I climb with other folk I may well use their kit, and trust my life to it, but I have no real idea how it has been treated or stored.  I did once 'drop' a mate's knackered sling in order to get rid of it [and gave him one of my newish ones in return] but generally we all use each others 'second hand stuff without any drama. 

I think a bit of common sense will see you right.

Alkapton

I know a certain person who still uses dumars.  I think one has the classic crack they develop.... nuf said really.