Beginner's luck...

underground

I had a great day caving yesterday. I was supposed to be taking my friend Sheila climbing for one of her first times on real rock, but as the forecast was looking a bit dodge, I managed to persuade her that we should really be going caving instead :D

Anyway, I was a bit unsure at first how she'd get on, as I know a few other people who've had beginners nearly in tears after a trip round Giant's. We opted for Bagshawe, partly for the cosy shed to get changed in, and partly because I've spent half my life in there this year so it's easy to find the way....

I was well impressed- Sheila just kept up, through crawls, the low duck to the streamway, in muddy crawls, and even up the Snakes Pyjamas and on into Taylor's Way. And without moaning once, which is more than can be said for me on some trips!

So, thoroughly enjoyable and something I hope to do again soon....

AND we went to the pub afterwards- possibly the makings of a true caver???

E

eyecave

i have an opinion about beginners.......if they dont have claustrophobia and they are not averse to physically getting down and dirty with the mud and rock and water THEN they don't KNOW that what theyare doing is that DIFFICULT or TIRESOME!!....AND they end up doing very very well in the cave!........has anyone else ever noticed that if you drag a rookie into a "safe" horror hole they usually do very well for the passage experience we are introducing them to??....... :shock:

underground

Is this possibly because they haven't been exposed to the preconceptions and horror stories that cavers love to tell??? So it all just seems normal...

E

eyecave

in TAG we have a like appreciation for what we all know to be true......cavers luv to expand on the difficulties and dangers of caving when conversing with anyone else about their sport!!!.................i think it is both good and normal for cavers to do that!!........number one, we all know how close death is to each of us underground........one slip, one series of misjudgments, one chance event........it could all be over rather quickly or rather definitely..................................i think we do that because of an appreciation of what a lack of true attention to detail, when in the difficult parts of the cave, could result in for the people we are dragging into that situation!!!........................i think its very healthy.........BUT calling every 30 foot pit a forty plus is irresponsible and disappointing damit....... :x