Old Ing free dive lines (beware)

IanWalker

dear all,

the old ing free dive lines (sumps 1 and 2 to leeds-liverpool canal) are in poor condition. specifically, it looks like the middle anchor (in the airbell) has failed. additionally there is another rope in the sumps that may or may not be tied in underwater/in airbell. this additional rope could be floating free/loose or may be tied into the (submerged) Red Moss series.

i will try update this thread if (A) i fix it or (B) i hear someone else has fixed it.

ian.

GarDouth

Administrator
I'll put a warning on the CNCC page for Old Ing too. If you remember please can you let myself (webmaster@cncc.org.uk) or Matt (secretary@cncc.org.uk) know if it gets sorted. Cheers.

Hi

Went for a look tonight with my mate Phil. Plenty of water around, I nearly ran over a Heron.

The lines from old ing to dismal (I.e. The two free dives) have a continuous line secured at either end and in the airbell above (just!) water. I removed the red piece of dynamic which I tied off to the spike last time as it was pissing me off in the airbell. Anyways it's now chopped so nice and simple now.

I gave the bolt in the airbell a yank and it seemed OK albeit corroded, I'm pretty fat and it held me! Long term these dive line anchors could do with an upgrade. But as of 2030hrs on the 2nd August - the lines seem fine.

The note about the knot being below water may have been a symptom of high water levels on your trip Marysboy?

Cheers
Matt