DistoX...last chance?

DaveR

I've put this on the main board so more people see it than on the Surveying board.

The DistoX is an electronic surveying tool based on the Leica Disto A3. The conversion board, from a Swiss caver adds an electronic compass and clino to the Disto measuring function, plus adds a datalogger and transmitter which sends to a PDA and draws the survey as you make it. Pretty nifty. http://paperless.bheeb.ch/
Leica have replaced the A3 with the D3, but the conversion won't work with it. Consequently the Swiss guy has stopped making his boards as he thinks there is no more market.
He has said he will consider making some more if there is a demand.
The A3 is still available from http://www.merlinlazer.com/
If anyone is interested in one of these devices, which are amazingly efficient surveying tools, this is likely the last opportunity.
I have said to Beat that I will try to get a number of orders together to make it worth him ordering parts etc.
If anyone wants to sign up, can you get in touch asap. No money required yet, but a firm commitment is required.
The Disto unit is ?200 and the conversion I think around ?130 ish. Not cheap, but you don't need a compass, clino, tape, book etc which all cost. The survey draws itself and you add passage shape etc as you go. The DistoX also does UDLR and side passages etc. Makes a paper and pencil look a bit dated.
It might be good to get a 'UK bulk order' together to try and persuade Beat to make some more. I'm happy to coordinate this if no one else wants to.
Send mail to david(dot)ryall(at)btinternet(dot)com
Cheers,
Dave

Joel Corrigan

Hi Dave. The Dachstein crew want at least one as we've already got a Leica. A Swiss mate of mine is going to have a chat with Beat about it tonight as this has got the makings of a g(r)eek-tragedy! We were chatting earlier about this and don't think we could face surveying in tight, baltic meanders with a tape measure and steamed-up instruments anymore, knowing that there are now alternatives....

footleg

Having used this system in Matienzo last month, I can strongly recommend it over traditional survey methods. We found it very easy to use, and improved the accuracy of our surveying over reading traditional instruments significantly, especially for inexperienced instrument readers. Not having to enter any numbers into the computer and leaving the cave with a fully drawn up map was fantastic, and allowed more time in the bar after trips too!

menacer

Hi Paul.
Initially there were some concerns with the calibration of this device and the different battery types.
Is it relatively easy to calibrate??
Carm

yes yes I know,  if id come out to matienzo this easter id know by now.......

DaveR

I suggest anyone who is seriously interested has a check that the Disto A3 is still available, as I suspect this might have started a bit of a panic buy! Of course, you take your chance; buy an A3 and then Beat says 'no more X boards', but looking at the interest level I reckon he'll do another batch, as he seems a good guy and very committed to the cause.
I think Lazer had limited stocks, although of course there are other suppliers and eBay.
We now have 5 orders, in an hour! :D

El Agreb

I may have a spare A3 for sale by the end of the day. Merlin Lazer supplied me a D3 when I ordered the A3, thought they were doing me a favour, for most folk it would be. They tried to source an A3 for me and after trying they phoned and said they couldn't supply. I immediately put a bid in on Ebay. Then Merlin Lazer phoned back and told me they had sourced some from Switzerland. (Only a handfull left when I spoke to them an hour ago)
Anyhow I won the bid on Ebay and am picking up the one from Merlin on Monday. Will sell for exactly what it cost me.

I said may as neither are in my possesion yet though both paid for.

Think I must have got one of the last boards from Beat as I completed the financial transaction with him yesterday (180 Euros including delivery)

PM if interested

pete h

Hi Dave

Have got an A3 so count me in for a conversion as we have a bit of surveying to do soon.  ;)

Juan

Prices on Ebay now for an A3 are ?150+. A couple of months ago, before the DistoX "rush" they were around ?100.

DaveR

Hi all.
Having let him know we have a market for him, Beat has now emailed to say he will make another batch of boards, although he can't give a date they will be ready.  :clap:
Therefore I would suggest anyone wanting one should contact him direct so he knows how many are required.
Anyone who has contacted me should email Beat direct to order, as I have only ordered mine!
Cheers,
Dave

Joel Corrigan

Whenever I try to do any soldering I always get more shiny goo on the floor that anywhere else  ;) so are there any competent individuals who might like to assist the Dachstein expedition with the modification/building of a DistoX? Shame to ruin it with my solder-spray.....

We're based in Cardiff but occasionally venture to the jolly little 10 metre-long holes of the Mendips, and may even be heading to the horizontal caving region known as the Dales in the near future.  Try to avoid the muddy district in-between, though.  Plenty of beer for generous technician.....

menacer

(y)
3623359322_75e90be621_o.jpg

SamT

Seriously - I can do it if you like - having just done one for the Eldon, and its not actually that bad
You'd have to come to the peak district though, god forbid.

And, erm, Im away for a couple of weeks.  But if your desperate.. the offer stands.

Joel Corrigan

menacer said:

The way I see it is that if cavers haven't got a sense of humour then I put them in the same basket as tv licence inspectors; not fussed if I'm disliked by such people!  But with tongue out of cheek for a moment I'm very grateful to Mr T & might take you up on the offer if all else fails. Very kind Mendip chap has volunteered so can always DHL it to him if I can't face entering his realm (?!).