Petzl Zoom Headtorch - how to connect safely/properly?

A

Adam S.

Hi,

I inherited this old head torch from my uncle who passed away (I do mountainbiking so was thought the most worthy recipient - he was a caver). I bought a 4.5v battery which fits it. I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I don't know which wires connect to which terminal on the battery.

There is a blue wire and a brown wire with connectors on them. It seems to work if I connect either of them to positive or negative terminals on the battery.

But I'm wondering if this matters - I don't want to damage the torch if it does.

So should blue go on negative or positive? Brown - which? Or does it not matter at all??

Thanks,
Adam.

A

Adam S.

Ah, thanks. Yeah, not a LED. Ordinary bulb.

I'm not doubting what you're saying - but any idea why the wires are coloured blue/brown?

Normally, like in a UK 3 pin plug, it's because they're different - live/earth/neutral etc..

Adam.

Les W

They are coloured blue and brown because that is standard flex colours, the flex they used was a standard off the shelf product.

G

Global_S

My advice with a Zoom is to either get an adapter so you can put rechargeable AA batteries in it or dump it and get an LED based one. Otherwise the cost of the flat batteries will add up very fast!