Earthquake near Clapham

Pitlamp

On 5th June there was an earthquake at Lowgill (not far from Berntham), which was felt at Clapham. It was only a low magnitude event but may well have affected any loose areas in caves on the west side of the Dales, particularly Ingleborough. So take care.

More details here:

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_uk_events.html

paull

thanks for the heads up , myself and many others will remember the aftermath of the last earthquake that was felt in the dales

RobinGriffiths

There appear to be a couple of east-west fault traversing the Bentham area with throw to the south. These themselves appear to have been subsequently truncated by further oblique faults. I guess they could still be related to relative subsidence of the basin to the south of the Askrigg Block.

ZombieCake

What with the volcano at Hawaii it must surely be the end of the world?  I for one am taking precautions by adding an extra layer of extra thick Bacofoil foil to my tinfoil hat. That'll stop the impending tsunami!

Pitlamp

Some amusing responses above:  :LOL:

But - my original post was quite serious. It was the incident which Paull clearly had in mind when he posted his reply which had prompted me to make sure this earthquake (close to Ingleborough) was flagged up on here.  The one Paull alludes to caused water in the whole of the Keld Head underwater cave system to become cloudy for several days because it shook loads of silt off ledges. Now think how tottery some of our areas of loose boulders are. Just because such areas have been passed thousands of times before doesn't mean their safety should be taken for granted. Our caves are still evolving . . .

Take care.