Things you've been mistaken for...

ZombieCake

I was asked in all honesty if I was 'with the press' at the weekend.  I took that as a compliment as was taking pics of an ancient local Christmas ritual involving local dignitaries and Morris dancers as part of a camera club thing.  Yes I did send them a link to pics.
(Actual press were also there by the way.)
Anyone been mistaken in a nice way for things they are not? 

Graigwen

I went to a Roy Lichtenstein exhibition at Tate Modern and four different people mistook me for a staff member. Two opened the conversation with the same words..."I can see you are an expert..."  I am not an expert, but was looking closely at the Ben-day dots in the paintings.

cap n chris

While at work, caving, routinely get pointed out and described by parents (to their doting offspring) "look, there's a [diver][climber][miner]" (insert option randomly).

The total lack of diving cylinders/CCR/regulator/mask/neoprene doesn't seem to get noticed.
And being at a cave obviously still makes me a miner.

I often tell them I'm over eighteen.

braveduck

On the Cornish costal footpath a few years back ,I was asked if I was the Archbishop ! The previous one Archbishop of Canterbury.
Last weekend at the Bunkhouse a little boy mistook me for Farther Christmas ! :)   

PeteHall

Having stripped off our filthy digging oversuits on the way out of Gough's the other week, five of us in red fury suits were probably mistaken for Santa's helpers as we passed through Santa's Grotto.  ;)

ttxela2

I don't see much point in paying to buy my own coats when I get them free at work, hence I am usually wearing a hi-viz jacket in the colder months. This often leads me to be mistaken for someone working.

We recently went to a pub for a meal and before I could get a word in the barmaid launched into a detailed description of where her car was parked, exactly what was wrong with it and how I could get my tow truck around the back to pick it up.

On another occasion whilst changing trains another commuter tackled me about his missed connection and what platform the next train to peterborough was leaving from, despite me advising him that I didn't work on the station he wouldn't be dissuaded and became very angry that I didn't know. We parted with him shouting about the letter of complaint he was going to write and how useless I was at my job.

Elaine

Whilst waiting in the cinema foyer for my friend to come back from the toilet, people kept giving me their tickets as they thought that I was the person who waits there and tears them in half. (I was tempted - but didn't!)

Pitlamp

On the return from a tour of a show cave in the Dales I stood to one side at one point, to let everyone pass. I then spoke to a lady, who almost jumped out of her skin in surprise. She exclaimed: "Oh, I thought you were a stalagmite!".

martinb

Coming out of Peak Cavern with my lad, then about 15 years old, both of us in full, damp, caving gear, we passed a family, the youngest offspring pointed at us and exclaimed 'look daddy, miners!'

I pointed at my lad, and said ' no, just him, he's a minor, and we're cavers!'

Pitlamp said:
On the return from a tour of a show cave in the Dales I stood to one side at one point, to let everyone pass. I then spoke to a lady, who almost jumped out of her skin in surprise. She exclaimed: "Oh, I thought you were a stalagmite!".
Stalagmite or the "Gnome of Gnewby"?

Attachments

• Elf.jpg
    Elf.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 136

Tripod

One of my part-time jobs involves promoting an auctioneer's saleroom, with a stand at country shows. At one show the conditions were a bit damp when we were setting up and I grabbed a yellow fluorescent jacket from my car in order to stay dry. Several people then asked me where the water supplies and taps for the stands were to which I answered "I don't know". All was quite bewildering until my colleague pointed out that the jacket had a water company name and logo on the front and I had obviously been taken to be an employee of that company. The back of the jacket had Ranger Service in large, black letters (from another part time job), not seen by my frustrated enquirers.
At another show I needed a smart summer hat and bought a Panama type from another stall holder. Later on, a group of gentlemen walked past our stand and one shouted over "Cambridge?". "No - hat stall over there" I replied having realised instantly the significance of the hat band.