EU exit options

EU What would you like to happen now?

• Complete leave: Have full control of borders and law, but loss of 44% trade, EU citizens and other E

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Norway model: Retain our laws (mostly) keep the trade deals but accept freedom of movement.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Backtrack: Not come out of the EU at all, everything back to the way it is but Angry leave and some

Votes: 29 65.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex

Following on from my other post, I want to see the general consensus for a plan to leave.

rhychydwr1

You need another option:

Complete leave: Have full control of borders and law, and increase sells abroad.  Take full advantage of the 10% drop in the ? against other currencies.

droid

You need another option: EU continue to trade with UK because they are too sensible to cut off their nose to spite their face....

royfellows

Not voting, I see it as trying to read tealeaves again.

Tea leaf readers and post Brexit doom mongers might want to take a look at today's FTSE.
Pounds climbing a bit as well, would be doing better if Carey had kept his trap shut.

Methinks the doom mongers are working a strategy.
Britain goes down after Brexit = EU stays intact
Britain does OK after Brexit = MoreExit

I am predicting nothing, we are in uncharted waters and thats it.

Alex

Complete leave: Have full control of borders and law, and increase sells abroad.  Take full advantage of the 10% drop in the ? against other currencies.

Would anyone want to trade with us after this mess? I don't see a que of countries with exception to some small bussinuesses in Aus lining up to trade with us. Why are we not already in trade negotiations with these countries now we are leaving?

You need another option: EU continue to trade with UK because they are too sensible to cut off their nose to spite their face....

Why not, we were? They need to punish us to stop other countries thinking its a good idea. They can't allow us to have all the benefits of the trade without any of the rules otherwise everyone would do it.

droid

Can't see VW/Audi or any of the other big eurocorporations missing out on the market that is the UK just because Merkel's had her nose put out of joint.

As Roy says, it's tea leaves.

royfellows

Simon Wilson said:
It looks like we are going to have another PM who doesn't want to leave.

I find that one preferable to the other two options, one looks like Harry Potter, the other someone no one has ever heard of.
EDIT
Harry Potter is out, breaking news.
Actually, to me good news.

We aren't going anywhere. Our leaders do not have the spine for it.

The only way we'll leave the EU is if it falls to bits due to some over-the-channel factors. Stand by for some proper fudging.

tony from suffolk

droid said:
Can't see VW/Audi or any of the other big eurocorporations missing out on the market that is the UK just because Merkel's had her nose put out of joint.
Yes, of course the german car makers will continue to sell to the UK. Their cars will be more expensive though. And the stock market's current rises are just what happens when things are a bit uncertain, and certainly no indicator for the long-term prospects for the UK economy.

ChrisJC

I don't see why free trade has to be conflated with total freedom of movement. That conflation will cause the EU to implode in due course. Nobody really wants it, so why should it be imposed.......

Chris.

NewStuff

"could be seen as undemocratic"

Small mistake there, it *is* undemocratic, Oh, and your poll is worded in about a one-sided manner as possible. I don't think that "angry" would cover the result of not invoking article 50. Should that happen, I fully expect rioting all over the country. You don't get to ask the population what they want, and then ignore what they say without repercussions.

Madness

Where does the 44% loss of trade figure come from?

Has someone asked everyone who trades with us what they will do after we leave the EU and done some quick calculations?

Or is it a guess/estimate/guesstimate/wild speculation?

How can anyone put a figure to it when almost everything is uncertain?

I'd honestly like to know.

Simon Wilson

I think Alex is saying that 44% of UK exports are within the EU and suggesting that in a hypothetical worst case scenario they would all be lost.

Hughie

I see the fear campaign is still churning out it's bollocks.

Russia, despite an EU trade embargo, still continues to pump gas into the EU.

If you have a product to trade, and "somebody" wants to buy it, then they will. And do.

Madness

Simon Wilson said:
I think Alex is saying that 44% of UK exports are within the EU and suggesting that in a hypothetical worst case scenario they would all be lost.

Thanks Simon,

What we need as a country is to steer clear of speculation (regarding everything) and act based on fact. We might not have gone into Iraq if we had acted on the facts - but that's a whole different debate.

Hughie is right, if someone wants something that we're selling, then they will buy it.

andrewmcleod

ChrisJC said:
I don't see why free trade has to be conflated with total freedom of movement. That conflation will cause the EU to implode in due course. Nobody really wants it, so why should it be imposed.......

Chris.

I do, having used it in the past. I suspect it makes a lot more sense away from this little backwater island if you live in a place with land borders with other countries (I will note NI voted remain).