First hand experience of Northumbrian Caves

Hangman

Does anyone have any experience of any caves in Northumberland? And in all honesty are they worth doing (by that I mean are they worth not going to the dales for)? and where are they?

As England's most northern university caving club maybe we should give them a look? 

newcastlecaver

see attached link, we tried priorsdale a long time ago and it looked blocked... a long drive out for not much gain.. and i seem to remember having to drive through a ford to get there so don't go when the rivers are swollen!

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=1195.0

also did tutman's hole near alston; that was quite good although i seem to remember it was a bit of a walk from the car.

lastly, i remember trying to find ayleburn mine caves once and wasted a few hours looking for the entrance in an area that looked like the forestry commission had recently re engineered the whole river bank.. the entrance was no where to be seen!

so in a nutshell, not better than the dales but something different to try!

lastly, i'm guessing you've tried Nenthead mines? they are well worth a visit, the club used to go quite a lot....absolutely masses to see in there...

graham

graham

There are quite a few caves in the Fell Sandstone almost all the way north to Berwick, I have to confess that none of them are very long, but they do have  quite a lot of geomorphological interest.

Some of them are even in Northern Caves.

Joe.Bones

We haven't been to nenthead yet, its on the list for next years to do list, one of our current members is from that area and used to guide around the mines i think. They seem well worth a visit

bograt

Joe.Bones said:
We haven't been to nenthead yet, its on the list for next years to do list, one of our current members is from that area and used to guide around the mines i think. They seem well worth a visit
Look out for natural, I've only been there a couple of times but  have twitchy feelings about the area. I don't think it has been looked at properly. A lot of potential.