Open air rift in Berry Head Country Park

shorznmoor

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and with caving experience limited to Prid and Baker's.

I wondered if anyone is familiar with the small open air rift in Berry Head Country Park?  As the floor is silted up I thought it might have been worthy of a dig but can find no records or references to its very existence.  I did try the Coast and Countryside Trust (emailing both the rangers and the Trust HQ) but no one ever bothered to respond.  My curiosity is still there so it would be interesting to know if the feature has ever been examined properly.

Les W

Do you have a more accurate location of the site?
Chris Proctor is probably your man on sites at Berry Head.

mrodoc

I would agree. PM me  for a contact for Chris Proctor. He wrote and published the Atlas of Berry Head Caves. Don't do any digging for obvious reasons - at least I hope they are obvious.

shorznmoor

Thank you for your responses.  What I found fascinating is that I only happened on this mystery by accident myself.  This was quite some time ago last year.  When I questioned a friend and colleague, born and bred locall, I was quite surprised to discover that he had only come across the feature relatively recently as well.  It seems that dog walking is prone to revealing things that sometimes pass unnoticed right under your very nose!
Anyway, as the park is an SSSI I think it would be remiss to post location details on open forum.  The feature may pose nothing more than curiosity value but I would certainly like to know if it is something that has escaped geological scrutiny.  I will pm you Peter? for CP's contact details.