Lydford Gorge

Joel Corrigan

Anyone know anything about caves in the Lydford Gorge (near Tavistock)? I'm working down here at the moment on a cliff-stabilisation job and we've spotted a shaft just up from the river that's properly sealed with a steel cage/gate. Don't want to ask the National Trust lot anything about it just yet until I know a bit more....  If anyone reading this could spread the word I'd be grateful as I'm only down here til the end of the weekend; if I'm going to be a naughty chap then needs to be soon!

Les W

I'm not aware of any caves in the Lydford Gorge area but there is sure to be plenty of mines, Tin, Copper and/or Arsenic I 'spect.

mrodoc

Hi Joel, Can just about remember the adit. PCG are the people to ask. I think the blurb says its a silver mine if my memory serves me right. If you contact PCG there are some interesting mines nearby - Wheal Friendship near Mary Tavy is worth a trip if they haven't gated it now.

Joel Corrigan

Cheers, all. Was having a bit of a blonde moment the other day as I was a bit knackered. Few mines down the gorge (tin?) and all gated, I gather. However, I'm confident that I should be able to blag my way in, once I get over my long-term dislike of mines in general!

Peter Burgess

Let's hope the people you want to blag to aren't reading this, because mentioning your "long-term dislike of mines in general" probably hasn't done you any favours.  :LOL:

alasdair neill

Some PCG members did get permission from the National Trust and I believe surveyed the adit a few years ago, but I have not seen the result. The mine was called Cascade Mine, worked in the late 1840's & didn't find much. Some other more intersting mines in the area. Friendship is another story..

rhychydwr1

Gubbin?s Cave NGR SX 509 845    Lydford Gorge  Satnav EX20 4BH

In the sixteenth century a notorious gang of outlaws lived in a cave Lydford Gorge.  They were led by one Roger Rowle and were the scourge of the area, notorious for stealing sheep on the moor and robbing travellers.  .  Rowle was said to have been the 'Robin Hood of Dartmoor' and at the village end of Lydford Gorge is a pool called 'Rowles Pool'.  Charles Kingsley, tells the story in his book - Westward Ho! and gives some idea of what fear and awe the Gubbins struck into the heart of moorland travellers.  It has been suggested that their very lifestyle led to their final demise.  Many stories state how they shared all things including their wives and children and so it was inbreeding and intemperance which lead to their downfall.  The gorge is owned by the National Trust and admission to the Gorge is ?7.90.

Stolen from The Concise Caves of Devon.

D

Dear Noel Axle

Has CCoD been revised recently?  My copy does not contain Gubbin's Cave and appears to be dated 2002.

rhychydwr1

Dear Noel Axle said:
Has CCoD been revised recently?  My copy does not contain Gubbin's Cave and appears to be dated 2002.

You really need the 2009 edition.  Only ?11.30 post free.